• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Variety of Hay what should I get?

Creative_A

New Kit
I thought I would start a new thread up regarding this. I was having dental problems with my lionhead rabbit and I took him to the vets and he had to have his back teeth filled down. Before this he was eating his hay perfectly fine (timothy hay by alfalfa King) but not touching his pellets day or night at all....since then he is eating all of his pellets clean out the bowl leaving nothing to spare day and night but hardly touching his hay. He is eating his treats fine but he is like a yoo yoo up and down up and down!

In my last thread lilgem91 suggested having a look on www.thehayexperts.co.uk and she suggested the 'Oat, wheat and barley hay' but looking at the hay varieties there is so many and I'm just wondering what maybe to go for.
There are a number of pet shops round my area but they don't really sell the hay on that website. The timothy hay he is on at the moment is thick and green but I have noticed that it is going softer as it is cold and damper outside could this be the reason he isn't eating it? I try hand feeding it to him and he starts to eat it but he is only really biting bits off and discarding of them!

'big sigh'....

Last edited:
Hi,

Where are you storing the hay - is it indoors and out?

Also what amount of pellets are you giving him? Is it possible he may be filling up on too many, now that he can eat them again?

I think Timothy hay is one of the better hays to feed, but it may be worth tempting him with some of the other types of hay as well, I know my buns like the Burns greet oat hay from the Hay Experts, so the one lilgems recommended might be a good one to go for, you could always try mixing it in with the normal Timothy hay.

Hope you can get him back to eating some hay, as that is the best thing to help with dental issues and keep his tum healthy.

I've only ever used American timothy hay, which mine love. i take it the timothy you're using is grown in the UK? I've heard that American timothy hay is better tasting due to it growing better in warm areas and in certain soil. It's expensive over there though so some people on here use it as treat hay.

Orchard hay is also very good. Maybe try a variety of different hays to see which he likes?

Have you got a sample pack from them already?
In that you can get small quanities of 6 types of hay to find out which ones your rabbits like.

You can also get samples from http://www.hayforpets.co.uk/ and http://www.willowwarren.co.uk/products.asp?cat=1 , and probably other places I don't know about yet.

You mention the weather affecting the hay - do you store it outside?
Perhaps some posters with outdoor rabbits can advise on storage. I have house rabbits and keep the hay in a room which has a dehumidifier in (not specially - the dehumidifier was there pre-buns!)

I'd have a look at how many pellets you are feeding, they only need a couple of tablespoons worth :) If you feed more than this though make sure you reduce it gradually.

Mine like all sorts of hay but very much like the baled meadow hay I get from a horse feed suppliers.

Helgalash - The hay I store in the shed in a bin bag and it isn't cold in there and when I refill his hay in the hutch it is perfectly fine, it is just when I give him his hay in his rack that when ruffle it up the next day it feels cold and not stiff like it was in the packet if you know what I mean?

Vita & Elena - I normally give him a handful but seeing as he has been eating all of them and not touching his hay I have gradually cut down this week and made sure I am giving him less. How would you go about measuring the correct amount of pellets to give him? What is the correct amount as I have a large bowl and when I give him them I am thinking 'oh there doesn't seem to be much in there' sort of thing....

William - Yes I think it is UK grown, I get it from pets at home the thick, green, tough hay. I felt it was very good and he was enjoying it and I could hand feed it to him but he just doesn't seem to be interested in it at the moment.

When I was on hay experts I did see they do sample packs which I will order up. How would you go about testing to see what one he likes?

Thanks again really appreciate your responses.

I use a scoop that measure 4 tablespoons. I give one scoop to a pair once a day so half a scoop would be about right for one. It does seem like a small amount and I don't bother with a bowl for them. Maybe you could fill the rest of the bowl up with herbs or greens so he has to forage around to find the pellets.

Thought I would keep you updated, since i made this thread and got some feedback into what hay I could use he has magically started eating it again and I mean every last bit of it....since he has had his back teeth done he has been like a hoover eating everything in his path...His nuggets in his bowl, gone in 60 seconds (no pun intended) his hay near enough gone by the time I feed him in the evening, his treats and greens at bedtime taken from my hand like he hasn't been feed for weeks....strange these little creatures are aren't they!

Back