• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Underweight Rabbit

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi,

Jessica is underweight and I want to fatten her up. Both my rabbits get a portion of excel adult pellets twice a day as well as unlimited hay and the occasional veggies. Jasper is definitely on the heavier side but Jessica has always been very slight. The vet said she was a bit bony and could do with gaining weight. Both rabbits have the same diet but where as Jasper eats plenty of hay she doesn't really bother much. I've been giving her extra food when he isn't about but she doesn't seem to gain weight. I'm concerned that feeding her more is making her eat even less hay.

She has recently been diagnosed with arthritis and is on pain relief but her appetite is still there. In fact she follows me into the kitchen when i go as she knows I'll give her something. As she is already underweight and has problems I'm concerned that if her condition deteriorates or has additional problems then there will be nothing left of her!!

Is alfalfa hay a good option? If she takes to it it could get her to eat more hay and gain weight. 2 birds in 1 stone

Thanks

The generally recommended amount of pellets is an eggcupful once a day. If you are feeding more than this, I would cut down very gradually (no sudden change).

This should increase the hay intake - which is vital to keep teeth and digestive system in good order. I would avoid treats of any kind - if you feed any - as if rabbits fill up on other things, they will not eat their hay. Green veg (such as spring greens) are fine.

Have her teeth been thoroughly checked?

Pain can burn calories so that could cause her to need more food. The arthritis may also have caused muscle wastage which maybe why she looks thin. Have you considered acupuncture? The vet could also give you gentle exercises to help her build muscle again.

We find junior pellets can help with weight gain compared to the normal ones

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

We feed them more an egg cup full, I was aware that was the guideline but they are used to eating more. It could explain the lack of hay but im reluctant to cut her food down when she is so slim already.

Yep her teeth have been thoroughly checked when she was knocked out for her x-ray which diagnosed the arthritis.

You could be onto something with the muscle wastage. She also sits differently to make herself more comfortable i assume which can make her look more bony i think. The junior pellets could be a good option. My 2 rabbits share their food but could get some junior stuff and just give to her as an extra.

I would consider acupuncture but I don't think this is something my vets practice. Having done a quick google I'm not sure where I would get this done. I don't think traveling far is an option as she'll need multiple treatments. What would the exercises involve? Our vet seems fairly rabbit-savvy but when I asked about treatment she said all we can do is manage the pain

Thanks for you advice.

Junior pellets could be an option too.

I feed my bunnies theirs pellets separate in the morning to make sure my smallest bun gets enough, could you do this?

has your vets checked teeth, done any bloods tests, which may/or may not show anything but might be worth doing if very underweight

Back