• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Un-neutered bun won't use litter box properly!

Partyrings

New Kit
Hey!

My buns 3 years old and un neutered (I feel like a pain for posting so much!), I'm going to make an appointment to get him neutered within the next few days! But recently he's been missing the litter box, like weeing right outside it, he doesn't do this all the time in fact he's only just started doing this really!

But since he came in the house about 3 weeks ago I set up a little base for him just out of a store bought cage (he's never locked in it don't worry!) that just had towels and blankets in and a litter box but he doesn't wee in the litter box. At first he wee'd in one corner so I moved the litter box in that corner so he started weeing in the other corner, it's driving me crazy :lol: since then I've put lap pads in all corners and been replacing them every day! I was just wondering if there's anything I can do to stop this or will he start using the litter box properly when he's neutered?

Sorry if this is against the rules to post about another subject but while I'm here! Bun's also been producing small poops for about a week or two, they're not always small most of the time he does normal sized poops, just wondering if this is a un-neutered thing too! He's been eating and drinking normally, his behaviour hasn't changed as far as I know. The only thing I could think it could be is he's not eating loads of hay and I might have been slipping him too much veg when I've been feeding the guinea pigs! :lol:

Thanks for your help guys!

He may not use a litter box consistently until he is neutered. If he is using both corners of the cage I would put a litter tray in each corner. I like the underbed storage boxes for trays as they are larger and have higher sides than cat litter trays and stops them from spraying over the edge. I use wood pellet cat litter in the trays, and plain non slip vinyl for the floor which enables them to differentiate from the litter area. Sweeping up poos regularly and putting them into the tray may help too :thumb: as would mopping up any wee puddles and cleaning the area with vinegar diluted with water.

The smaller poops if they are a new thing for him need an eye keeping on. I would not feed so much veg and try to get him eating more hay. You could sprinkle pellets into the hay, or readigrass or normal grass, or a bit of grated carrot, to try to get him to eat it.

Back