• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio Bonding Thread - Pebbles, Roxy and Freddy

SianD

Warren Scout
Hello :) I don't post often but lurk around everyday :)

Today I have starting bonding my buns Freddy (new male) to my male/ female pair Pebbles and Roxy.

Freddy has settled in really well...he is a very friendly and sweet natured bun, I am very lucky :smitten:

They have been together for 5/6 hours now. Pebs has chased Freddy a few times and there have been a few minor scuffles amongst the 3. Freddy is not doing himself any favours...he is clearly scared and thumps then runs around like a looney everytime Pebs or Roxy gets near...this makes Pebs go for him or just stare at him as if to say WTF :lol:. Other than then Freddy keeps sniffing their bums, which obviously makes them chase him :lol: he seems to be getting more confident though :)

bonding vibes please :) :) :lol:

will update with pics soon :)

I cleaned the inside of the pen as it was getting smelly - wee and poop everywhere. Soon after that all hell broke loose and all buns starting going for each other...mostly just fur pulling/ nipping and scuffling. Freddy has a small scrape wound on his ear...it bled a bit so I cleaned this up.

I split the buns up and reduced the size of the pen by half...they have been back together in there for about an hour now...there have been a few minor chases and scuffles.

I think me cleaning up then pen isn't helping? I went to mop up some wee and Roxy bit my hand (ouchie).

I am breaking up the scuffles as soon as they start....don't know if I am doing the right thing...argh! :lol:

Had to seperate the buns in the end...Pebbles kept going for the others everytime they tried to move. He was weeing a lot in different places so scent marking I suspose...I am going to try them again tomorrow with a litter tray in the pen to keep the area cleaner...Pebbles only started getting nasty after I cleaned the pen...had to though as it was filthy!!

Shame you had to separate. That would happen with mine though, so i would just top up with tons more hay and then only do a clean up with a pen change.

They needed as little fuss as possible. I remember when doing mine, even putting a fan on in the room made all hell break loose.

A litter tray didnt work for mine - i couldnt really fit one in and there was no space for them. No to begin with anyway.

I found it easier to beak it down into stages. Here's the stages

I've broken it down into stages - this is what i did (i have omitted the disaster of where i rushed it and went too quickly) and given each stage a number.

Stage 1 was a 2ft x 2ft pen - I had them in the living room and supervised them constantly for about 48 hours - even sleeping next to them.

Stage 2 was a slight increase to the pen (3.5ft x 2ft) - this was in the same place until i felt confident. Again i slept in the same room as them. I noticed increased activity (humping, chasing and nipping) at dusk and dawn.

Stage 3 - i then moved them into the dining room (mainly to let them get on with it etc) in the same stage 2 pen. It meant less interaction from the family and it meant they were left to sort out their squabbles mainly by themselves - i should stress at this point, fighting had stopped and it was just humping going on - i could still hear them even at night and was able to intervene when needed.

Stage 4 was a bigger pen (dog crate and attached pen of 6ft x 2ft). I will be leaving them like this for about a week. Again, they are in the dining room (neutral territory) yet i can still hear them at all times of the day/night. During this time, i have introduced a litter tray. Feeding from a bowl rather than scatter feeding will come next.

Stage 5 will be moving this pen into their fully rearranged and re-decorated outhouse.

Stage 6 is to remove the pen but block off their room giving them smaller than usual access.

Stage 7 will be to remove the block and allow them free movement to their indoor areas.

Stage 8 will allow them full access to the gardens, toys and normality.

Each stage move created a little fuss and excitability. And now i get involved as less as possible. But in the beginning - even slight things would set them off - the smell of food, turning the TV off, turning a fan on etc etc.

I'm currently on Stage 4.

I hope by me breaking it down into stages, others can see how gradually i have chosen to do it.

But the whole thread is here.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4951301

Sky-O is experienced in this and there is a fantastic post here:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?317003-Do-you-want-to-bond-a-trio-Read-this-first

Thank you Grim :) I'm glad I did split them up yesterday they were all far too stressed.

i put them back together and they have been much better...a few confrontations but no scuffles. the litter tray hasn't caused any issues thankfully and they are all seeing in there :)

I just bonded my pair, I started off without a litter tray, and they were both stressed, at the fact there was no tray! once I put the tray in, they were so much more happier they could go in the tray! x

Thank you :)

We've had a few scuffles...all 3 are looking so much more relaxed :)

awww yeh I read maltilda and grayson's bonding thread...how are they getting on? Definitely much better with a litter tray...yesterday they were all weeing everywhere and were just sitting in it...its all in the tray now...I hope :lol:

IMG289.jpg

The three just now

Thank you :) Ah yes I think I know them well...they are all lil sods :lol:

They have been good lil bun buns...I got a somewhat peaceful nights kip...buns were quiet...just the OH kept waking me up with his snoring :lol:

There have been a few minor confrontations today no scuffles though just a little chase. All three are eating, washing and lying near to each other. Pebs and Roxy are pretty much ignoring Freddy at the moment...though Roxy has laid next to him a few times...AND..Roxy has groomed Freddy :lol:

IMG292.jpg

IMG288.jpg

We've had a few scuffles...all 3 are looking so much more relaxed :)

awww yeh I read maltilda and grayson's bonding thread...how are they getting on? Definitely much better with a litter tray...yesterday they were all weeing everywhere and were just sitting in it...its all in the tray now...I hope :lol:

those pics are gourgous! Matilda and Grayson are now in their perminant home, its like they've never been apart, can't believe have smooth and fast they bonded, tho they are mum and son, and had contact untill grayson was about 16 weeks old.

Iam still keeping some what of an eye on the, I'm not confident leaving them for large ammonts of time yet, as I no niggles could still happen, but they seem really settled!

hope your 3 bond!! x

those pics are gourgous! Matilda and Grayson are now in their perminant home, its like they've never been apart, can't believe have smooth and fast they bonded, tho they are mum and son, and had contact untill grayson was about 16 weeks old.

Iam still keeping some what of an eye on the, I'm not confident leaving them for large ammonts of time yet, as I no niggles could still happen, but they seem really settled!

hope your 3 bond!! x

Awww that's lovely :love: I'm sure they have a great bond :)

Back