• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Taking Bonnie to the vet later

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Bonnie (the bun I rehomed who was living in a carehome in a tiny hutch under the stairs) doesn't seem happy. She never moved around much when she was living in the small hutch but she didn't have enough room then.

I have given up with bonding her to my trio as there was too much nasty fighting. I have divided the run and hutch into two with puppy panels and Bonnie can see the other buns but they can't reach her. She did manage to crawl under the hutch and in with them and they attacked her. Fortunately, I was watering the garden and quickly separated them but she had a graze type injury which bled a lot initially but was not deep. I've blocked up the gap so she can't do that again. She has had all her vaccinations and the vet checked her graze which had healed well.

I don't think she is scared of the other buns as she spends nearly all of her time right up against the puppy panel and Flopsy (who didn't fight with her when they were together) and Bonnie will sometimes rub noses.

She did have a dirty bottom two weeks ago but I gave her a bottom bath and have checked her regularly terrified of flystrike but it hasn't happened again. Her input and output are good (easy to tell as she lives alone). She just doesn't move much and looks miserable.

I rehomed her to give her a better life and I feel I am failing her as she is clearly not happy. I am intending to adopt another bun to try to bond with Bonnie but she hasn't been spayed yet. I am wary as she is so tiny and doesn't seem 'right'. Having said that, she is no different to how she has always been, but I am used to bunnies who regularly hop around and explore their area. She has a tunnel and a wicker bed with hay in as well as her litter tray with hay inside the hutch. I tried her with a treat ball but she ignored it.

She has lots of space (the hutch door is never closed) but stays in one place all the time, apart from when she moves to eat or drink. She is only three but I wonder if she has arthritis, although she was thoroughly checked over at both vaccination appointments. The vet spent ages looking at her teeth as she did have a weepy eye. That cleared up about a month ago.

Some vibes for my little Bonnie would be really appreciated. I work two jobs on a Friday but the vet has fitted me in between the two as I didn't want to leave her over the weekend. She is being no different from how she has always been but just looks sad:(:(:(

You have made her life better - what went before wasn't your doing. I hope there is nothing wrong and that she learns how to be a bunny again. A partner bun may make all the difference - it's amazing how quickly they pick up with the right one.

Just got back from the vet. It was a different one but I think I preferred him. His young daughter has two bunnies who have a wendy house set up:) He was very thorough, even checked Bonnie's leg reflexes which I've not had done before. When he examined her tummy he said that she is on the right diet - it didn't sound as though there was lots of air in there. He said there were miniscule spurs on one side of her mouth but no soreness or abscess on her tongue or cheek and she is eating pellets and carrot fine. He hopes her diet of predominantly hay will correct that but I will keep an eye on it. She hasn't lost weight - is the right weight for her size. He said she seems very healthy.

I guess she must just be a bunny who doesn't move around much. The vet and I decided Bonnie is a philosopher - she sits quietly and thinks a lot:)

I feel happier now - even though it cost £37 to be told there is nothing wrong and I think the vet has me down as a neurotic bunny Mummy. My bridge bun Daisy from many, many years ago lived in a tiny hutch before I was allowed to rehome her (usual story - children got bored) and it took her a long time to venture out of her hutch. She seemed agoraphobic. I will get Bonnie spayed - the vet saw no reason for her not to be spayed - and try to find her a husbun. Just hope they bond or I can see myself ending up with eleven bunnies again - and I really don't want that!!!!

Really pleased the check up showed that everything is ok with Bonnie. My Snoopy is quite a sedentary bun, so I guess some bunnies are just like that!

Best of luck with the spay and getting a friend for her when the time comes.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Glad to her the vet was very thorough, and everything seems to be ok. I'm sure she is a lot happier now with you, than before, maybe she just isn't able to show it yet bless her. Hope you manage to find her a little friend, maybe that will help xx

Sending vibes for Bonnie and you're not a neurotic bunny momma. Like all of us, you care deeply for your rabbit and you react because you are concerned. Far better that than to sit and do nothing. Hugs to you too. xx

Could she have poor eyesight ?

That's something I haven't considered and although the vet checked her eyes he didn't check her eyesight. I will be cleaning them all out after work tomorrow so I will watch her carefully. She never dashes for noms like the other three do - but then she knows she can take her time as she has nobun else competing with her.

I've put all these objects in her run so as to make it interesting but if she has poor eyesight it must make it more difficult for her to get around. I think poor eyesight is a definite possibility. Hopefully I can find a gentle husbun for her after she is spayed and that will help. I'll take some things out tomorrow and see if she moves around more then.

I just want her to be happy and I hate seeing her look so sad. I really feel I have failed her somehow. I am really worried about having her spayed as she is far smaller than any other bun I have had neutered.

It would be sooooo much easier if bunnies could talk - or if I could speak fluent rabbit!!!

Rather than risk failed bonds and keep adding to your numbers, you could split the trio and bond one of those to Bonnie? You did the right thing in taking her to the vets - I have some buns who are just a bit sad and miserable by nature. I guess she hasn’t had much to be excited about until now bless her.

Back