• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore eyes and "uneven" poos.

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Hi, I just wanted some advice about Xena. When I got her (she was abandoned at a dump, underweight, pregnant and covered in fleas) she squinted both her eyes and they were a little sore. She had previously been treated (by her amazing foster Mammy!) for conjunctivitis but they seemed slow to heal. She often gets "sleep" in them but never has any discharge and they are never watery-looking.
One day she had her left eye completely closed and it was clearly sore, so off to the vets we went. She was diagnosed with an ulcer and given eye drops to help the healing process and told to come back in a week. It is now about 3 weeks - a month on from that first appointment and her eye is still holding some dye so she still has an ulcer. She is also light sensitive in that eye and often holds it half closed. The vet said that sometimes they can take a long time to heal and we changed the drops to see if that helped, it is healing but very very slowly. She has checkups every week-10 days and the vet is confident she will be ok. Today, however, I noticed her holding her other eye half closed, she did this for a little while and then held it fully open again. I just want to verify that this is normal, could there be an underlying problem which is preventing the healing process and why (in your opinions) does she seem prone to sore eyes?
Another problem I have with her is she has uneven poos. :? Her poos are very golden and generally fat and very crumbly but they are not all the same size. She sometimes gets oval shaped ones, smaller ones, larger ones, "wetter" ones etc. She very occasionally has a couple of very smelly, black, mucusy poos (uneaten cecals?) but not since I stopped introducing grass into her diet so I presume that is was what was causing the smelly poo. She gets a grumbly tummy easily which I put down to the fact that she wolfs down her pellets so fast she gives herself gas, so I now scatter feed with her. I know colour of poo doesn't reflect digestive problems but size and shape does so I'm a little concerned about this and would like to know why this happens. She never goes off her food and is a big hay eater, she is happy and active other than her eye problems.

Any advice would be very helpful!

Thank you, her other eye seems ok now :? The vet did check both eyes but I will ask her to put some dye in her other eye to make sure there is nothing going on.

Any advice about the uneven poos? Is it something to worry about or am I being paranoid? :lol:

Back