• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sick of family telling me to get rid of bunnies :(

I'm sorry your family give you such a hard time over your pets, as-long as you enjoy owning them that's all that matters!

I still live with my immediate family, but other members come over and say my rabbits are "going without" because I don't feed them whole carrots
Also just had a family member tell my brother to give the dog part of his chocolate cake as they're sure he would like it, luckily brother came to me and said isn't chocolate poisonous to them?! :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just tell her how sad it is she doesn't realise how amazing bunnies are as house pets. She's missing out.

Yes, unfortunately it seems that rabbits are 'second class citizens' in the pet stakes. When our Rex rabbit Ben (RIP) first arrived on our front lawn we went up and down the street knocking on doors trying to find his owners (luckily we never did!) and I lost count of how many times people said "well lucky it went to you first 'cos if it'd come to us it'd have been in the pot!" or variations on that theme. Would they have said that about a missing cat or dog? My mother thinks it is disgusting that we have our rabbits indoors, and friends have also made comments about how can we bear to 'live in a rabbit hutch'. When Ben died a colleague even said, "will you get rid of the other one as well now?" a comment which I found deeply upsetting. My husband and I are eternally grateful for Ben arriving and introducing us to the joys of bunny patronage, but I guess other people are just not as evolved as we are!

In my experience, people like to criticise how others live their lives for no apparent reason. I've never understood why. My mums side of the family annoy me because they don't understand why anyone would choose to keep animals that don't 'give back' ie they all have chickens for the sole purpose of getting eggs. So as you can't 'get' anything from rabbits they don't get it (yet they all have dogs.....figure....).

I got a lot of comments when I started fostering 'you could use that as an extra boarding space to get more money' :roll:

Firstly, I think your mother-in-law is just rude. As everyone said before me, it's none of her business. But sometimes people will keep saying things when they know or feel that you are reacting. My parents did this to me a lot. The attitude I adopted was the "so what" attitude. I was always like, "So what there's hay. There could be worse things. Baby vomit or cat poo." They would point to droppings and say they're unhygenic, and I'd be like, "I don't care." I even said to them that I love rabbit poo and to me it smells wonderful, and that if I had to eat poo, I'd pick rabbits'. My parents got really annoyed with this approach right away, and especially my dad, he even stormed off! I was always like, "You don't like how I keep my rabbits. So what. I don't care about what you think. When I do, I will ask for your opinion. I'm not asking for your opinion on how to keep my rabbits or whether this is acceptable to you. They are happy and it makes me happy."

They have left me well alone now. Everything has changed. It took years, and lots of remarks on the lines "You love them more than you love us" to which I'd just say don't be silly. They realised that my rabbits are my everything.

Funny thing is, they have a dog, and they had two dogs pass away. It was the most awful tragedy for them. My mum actually said she grieved more for her dog and was more upset than she was when her father died. But when my rabbit died, they were saying I had to stop being silly about it, and that it's just a rabbit, and it's normal that they died, that they don't live long anyway, and that I cannot possibly allow myself to be upset because it is unreasonable! Even some really awful remarks which I felt tainted the memories of my rabbit. I was disgusted. I turned them remarks right around and said them back about their dead dogs and the living one too. My dad was horrified. He said, "Do not even compare my dog to your rabbits!" I said "You are upset and I'm glad you feel that way. Because that is exactly how your remarks make me feel."

I know that what you are going through is very hurtful. It is awful. They are our children and our best friends and it's very hard to listen to someone insult them and belittle them. My advice give them back what they give you. Insult their pet and say "I don't mean that, I am just saying this so that you realise how you make me feel." Or just adopt "So what, it's just hay" and "So what it's just poops" attitude. I always even pick a poop up and crumble it in my hands and say, look, even the poop is just hay. Once people realise you don't care about what they say, they are likely to leave you alone.

Back