• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Russian vibe poisonous?

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi all...I know Ive aksed this before...I think we have this type of plant....and still dont know if its a poisonous one for buns?

It has a huge root system that mya be difficult to get rid of ...:?

Polygonum (Russian Vine or mile a minute)
I think the variety we have is "P. Baldschuanicum"
At least looking at the pic in the book that looks exaclty like ours is names this variety.
Green leaves & tiny white/cream flowers that cover the plant from July to October.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...=en&sa=X&tbs=isch:1&ei=7wF-Tf2yO5G4hAe5yvjpBg

there are so many polygonum species but the sub-species you mentioned, i've never heard of sorry
the ones that i know of knotweed/bistort/jumpseed i'd steer clear of

there are so many polygonum species but the sub-species you mentioned, i've never heard of sorry
the ones that i know of knotweed/bistort/jumpseed i'd steer clear of

aaah thankyou for the info....;)
I see so much of this stuff...and the stump it grosn from is seriously huge and I think half the fence would come up if I tried to dig it up...and its gonna be near the hutches,....it just grows so fast to control it that it would be nice to know whats what with it...

thanks anyway!:D

Its definitely Fallopia baldshuanicum - I used to have one and you're right, you can almost stand and watch it grow.
No idea how you'd get rid of it though, other than just cutting right down to the stump first then killing the stump.
I wouldn't think that its good for buns but I don't know for sure :?

you might want to try google searching japanese knotweed
i have a feeling that's what you've got? keep me updated with your findings :D

right - had a google...flipping heck its looks like it covers everything in sight!:shock::lol:

I dont think Ive got this one....but ran to the window to look out in caseit did look similar!:lol:

Im going to take some pics when there is more to the bush - its mainly sticks at the moment...and maybe then we can tell for sure....;)

Its definitely Fallopia baldshuanicum - I used to have one and you're right, you can almost stand and watch it grow.
No idea how you'd get rid of it though, other than just cutting right down to the stump first then killing the stump.
I wouldn't think that its good for buns but I don't know for sure :?

thats the thing - its quite pretty - great for the birds...covers our fence so the neighbours cant see in & I dont want to have to kill it...but cant find anywhere if its poisonous for buns...obviously dont want to risk it...but still want to know anyway...:?

thanks guys!:D

Back