• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescued a bunny/piggy bonded pair...is this okay? U/D - Bunny pics added!

LloydFerris

Warren Scout
Hi everyone! I have new fosters!
Their story is nasty just like the story of my last foster buns.
A couple of weeks ago, we had an extremely cold snap here in Alberta, Canada. I live in the city of Calgary and there was one day that week that made Calgary the 2nd coldest place in the world that day! That was the day that a kind gentleman discovered a rabbit cage containing a bun and a guinea pig in a trash bin. He thought they were frozen to death. There was no movement, but he could still feel a tiny bit of warmth from the bun. He immediately took the cage and placed it in his vehicle and warmed the pair up, hoping for the best. They both survived and recovered!!! Their cage was disgusting - pine shavings and urine turned to ice underneath the 2 sweeties...and not even a cubby to hide and cuddle in. :cry: Horrific!
However, they are okay! The guinea pig is a nightmare of urine and faeces covered matts, though. I am taking him to get cleaned up today and make sure his body is in good condition under that mess.
Anyway....the point of this post is this: The 2 of them are obviously quite close. Guineas and buns have different nutritional needs, but I don't know how I could provide for each of them without them eating each other's food.
If you were me, would you separate them or leave them as they are? The bun is going to be easy to get adopted (I can just tell) but I don't think many folks are going to want to take on a piggy and a bun. I prefer to adopt to families that have at least one bun already - hopefully this little gal can find a husbun.....but if she has an accompanying piggy I'm afraid she won't get adopted.
Oh, gee.....what do you all think? What should I do?

I forgot to mention that the piggy has a wonderful family with years of piggy experience that is interested in him/her.

U/D #2: The bun is a boy!

Last edited:
Personally I'd seperate. The risk of accidental injury is still high regardless of how much they love each other and I'm sure they'd appreciate a friend of their own species.

How would you recommend I do this? Kind of like a reverse bonding? Separate by a pen first so that it's gradual? Also, the bun is quite small, but obviously not small like the bun!

Its not the size issue really thats the prob its the fact that buns have such incredibly strong legs and as a piggy owner myself they are notorious for getting in your way so a bunny could do a perfectly innocent binky and hurt the piggy.

Piggies grieve particularly badly and I've had them go on hunger strike because of it. I'd seperate them but keep them in sight smell of each other. Hopefully then you could bond them each with a new playmate and they wont miss the other one when they no longer see each other.

Thank you Amy. I thought that would be the best way to go. :D
I'm still interested in hearing more opinions and experiences with piggies and buns.

Thank you Amy. I thought that would be the best way to go. :D
I'm still interested in hearing more opinions and experiences with piggies and buns.

They aren't pleasant experiences and there will be a big debate about it here now, im sure heh.

Piggies & Bunnies don't speak the same language so dont understand each other.
They have different dietary requirements.
Bunnies carry Bordatella, which can kill piggies.
As Amy stated, a binky for example could seriously injur/kill a piggy :(

:cry: I couldn't separate them. They are buddies who have only been able to rely on each other. :cry:

ETA that is completely my heart talking over my head - so it's not good advice really sorry :oops:

Last edited:
Elvis came to me with 2 guinea pigs. The piggies used to live upstairs in the hutch and Elvis lived downstairs, but their was a ramp so they could still meet. I didnt think he was that bothered with them. I think one of the piggies liked him. I seperated them and got Elvis a girlfriend and he adores her. They cuddle up, wash each other and eat together - things he never did with the guinea pigs.
Thats my only experience with them. I think rabbits get more from being with another rabbit. :)

Well done you for rescuing these guys, unfortunately, though it will be hard, they shouldnt be kept together due to a few reasons - bunny backlegs, even just doing a binky close by can paralyse or kill piggy, bunny can bully piggy, they need different diets and the bunny carries a disease called bordatella bronchiseptica, which does bun no harm, but can be acquired by pig who may die from the disease. also its completely unnatural for them, as they are from different continents, and generally are completely different. Best wishes for them :) get them each a same species friend to help with the seperation xx

Hi! Oh bless these little two!:( What an ordeal for them!

I would try & find them each a friend at the same time so they dont get lonely. I would not want to seperate them either but I think if they can see & smell each other but have a new friend each to be with & bond with then perhaps their seperation would be easier......to just seperate them suddenly would be abit hard for them as they have obvioulsy been through a lot together! Can we see piccies of these lovely two?
Obvioulsy for diet & safety reason its best for them ot be with their own kind....
Hard I know - I used to have a rabbit & a guineapig who just wanted to be best friends and that was it....they did have a choice. The guineapig used to lie across the rabbits neck:?:)

I do hope they each find a own kind friend!:)
Well done for rescueing these two & the lovely man who saved them!

Pics!

Yes, I don't want to separate them suddenly. Traumatizing them is NOT what I want to do.
All of your input has been great, and I really appreciate it!
There has been interest in both the bun and the piggy separately only. And the interest they've had has been from spectacular homes. So, in order for them to get adopted by wonderful families, they may have to be separated anyway.
The bun has 2 possible husbans in line for bonding, and the piggie has 3 other piggie friends to bond with (one is male, but he is neutered).
I haven't been able to get a pic of the piggie yet as she won't come out of her cubbies and tunnels when I am around, but here is Annabelle (Bella).
My goodnes, she is the cuddliest animal I have ever known! Notice I said animal and not bunny! I have never known a cuddlier, more affectionate cat or dog than Annabelle. Wow, she is going to be so hard to let go of.:(

1222002041b.jpg

1222002024a.jpg
I'm going to get my son to help me get a good photo of the piggie (whom he calls Elizabeth) tonight.

Annabelle is gorgeous :love::love: Such a sad story but so glad it has turned out ok for them, they must have been so frightened :cry::cry: How can people do that :evil::censored:

I am sorry, I have no experience with guineas and bunnies together, I know they arent meant to be together because of the reasons already stated, but also can see the difficulty as they must have clung to each other when they were scared for their lives.

But the gradual process of separating while still being able to see and smell sounds a good idea, and then bonding to new mates.... I do hope they both end up in absolutely fantastic homes :love:

hey

Hi this is my first post on here eee exciting :) I'm as veterinary nurse and while all the current text book guidelines would say seperate them as long as u know the risks I'd say on a personal level let them be. Only because before all this rabbits and guinea pigs should be kept seperate malarchy when I was a kid we always had them in the same cage and nothing ever happened and all my firends always had rabbits and guinea pigs mixed and they were all fine plus in the surgery ive so far never seen a guinea pig thats been injured by a rabbit having said that we dont see many rabbits hope this helps x

Wow Annabelle is lovely :love::love:
Things are sounding so positive for these two.
Great homes on offer with others of their own species.
Its terrible that they had to go through such an ordeal first but at least the story will have happy endings.
Well done for the important role you are playing in all this. :)

Just found out Annabelle is an AnnaBOY! I guess I got cocky and thought I could sex rabbits! HA!
I think I looked more for testicles than anything else. I must have assumed a bunny that was disposed of in the bin would not have been spayed or neutered. I mean, a caring owner would do that - not one who would throw their pets in the garbage!
Anyway.....he just had a vet check and is in wonderful health. He is definitely a he and appears to be neutered, but they tried to feel for testicles in his tummy just in case they were there but hadn't dropped, but they couldn't feel any.

Funny stuff hey?

My whole take on the rabbit piggie thing is it is the same as say dogs and rabbits. You shouldn't assume they will get on but sometimes they do. However it's still not best to leave them alone as you never know what might happen...

Can you bond them to a partner of their own species while they're still in sight of each other?

When I worked in the RSPCA clinic I had a rabbit come in who had been attacked by a guinea pig. :(

Back