• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue closed now items no longer needed

Hi after rescuing 4 bunnys, ive started a mini rescue for upto 3 bunnies at a time we would be extremely gratefil if anyone in wirral has a double hutch, run or a shed they are no longer using to house our bunnies in for winter please. Thankyou. I DONT drive so unfortunatly cant pick up unless its on wirral or liverpool city center way as I have go hire van and its all self funded because I LOVE MY BUNNIES ♡

Last edited:
Good luck with it all! :)
This is something I have done on and off for the last 3 years or so. I havent done it for a year, due to starting a degree, but currently have 2 rescues with me as Im at home for over a year now.

I have to say, finding good homes is difficult, even for larger, well known rescues. As a private individual, I really struggled getting this sort of support, and also found rehoming more difficult due to the number of other private individuals who are less honest, and give the few honest individuals doing a good job a bad name. Its very sad, really.

From doing this sort of thing, I find you tend to do it entirely from your own funds, and get very little support. I was very lucky to get some help from the RWAF for one bun, who now lives with Vegan_Bunny. I also had another bun sponsored by a very kind individual, who shall remain anonymous.

In terms of housing and things, I reccommend having a look on freecycle, facebook groups. You may find someone able to supply materials, or offer their time and skills, now and again, you could find an old second hand hutch/shed/run that needs some TLC. Also try contacting local joiners. Occasionally, you will find one willing to get on board and do things at a reduced price.

Im sorry I cant be more help. Good luck.

Rescue now closed -cant delete post

Hi ive CLOSED RESCUE DUE TO RECIEVING VERY ILL RABBITS WITHOUT PRIOR KNOWLEDGE me being nieve thinking no one would give a rabbit in this state but ive recieved 2 in poor condition so im giving up after 2 days as I thought id be helping rehome bunnies not paying for peoples pet vet bills coz they cant. Inexperience and funds are why im closing but thanks 4 ur messages x

Hi ive CLOSED RESCUE DUE TO RECIEVING VERY ILL RABBITS WITHOUT PRIOR KNOWLEDGE me being nieve thinking no one would give a rabbit in this state but ive recieved 2 in poor condition so im giving up after 2 days as I thought id be helping rehome bunnies not paying for peoples pet vet bills coz they cant. Inexperience and funds are why im closing but thanks 4 ur messages x

thats horrible of people to take advantage of you like that!!

This is unfortunately exactly what rescues do.
Some genuine people have unexpected changes in circumstances and are forced to rehome much loved pets, sadly they are in a minority and the majority of animals handed into rescues need vet treatment, sometimes very extensive and costly treatment. At the very least rescues are expected to neuter and vaccinate and as a result are very very expensive to run. It is certainly not a case of taking in happy healthy bunnies and rehoming them.
It is probably for the best that you found out the harsh realities early on.
Have you considered fostering for a rescue instead? Xx

How very sad that people can do this and just dump their bunnies and run. I know some cases are genuine but it is really sad that these people are in the minority.

I think it takes a special person to rescue and foster.

I think you are very sensible to close, rather than to struggle on until running a rescue makes you tired, ill and in debt!

The money side of things is the unfortunate reality. It can be a massive shock to realise how badly treated many rabbits are. I certainly didn't realise some of the horrific cases that come up so often, often due to ignorance rather than intentional cruelty. The fostering idea for a rescue is a fantastic one - you can provide much needed space, time and support for the rescue without any massive unexpected outlays :D

Back