• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reaction to VHD?

Has anyone ever noticed side-effects (e.g. stiffness) with Lapinject? My vet advised me not to have my rabbit vaccinated against VHD next time as he reacted so badly to Cylap. I don't want to risk losing him to VHD but am worried if there is a risk with Lapinject too.

When I spoke to my vet about the cylap effects that Muppet experienced (quite minor but nonetheless important to us), he advised that the 'base' of the vaccination could be the same for both cylap and lapinject, so if the rabbit is reacting to the 'base' then swopping vaccinations may not help.

they are no longer going to be given rabbits the injection unless people ask for it.
Also if people do ask for it they are going to always be using the other kind - that most rabbits dont get a reaction too.

So they arent going to recommend it but if people ask they'll get lapinject? That's a bit feeble isnt it. They *should* be recommending a vaccination surely - it's their job to ensure people are informed about essential health precautions for their pets :?

This has been discussed several times on the forum, the injection site reaction that the bunny has experienced is nasty and is very similar to what Gizmo had after his neutering. He had no probs with Cylap or Myxi but, after coming out following his surgery he had a nasty area of soreness which later dried to a scab and then he groomed it himself. I bathed it with cooled boiled water on a cotton wool pad to keep it clean and applied some aloe vera once. I think the whole VHD injection thing will continue until they either remove the Cylap version or modify it so that whatever it is causing the reaction in some bunnies. I discussed it with the vet as I had read about it on here and as I have said before, he pointed out that the 'base' of a vaccine comes from the same manufacturer in a lot of cases. Meaning the two vaccines are probably similar anyway but, there may be something else in the Cylap version?? Not sure but, my two were fine, the side-effects mentioned with regards a limp are not un-common in certain dog vaccines either or in fact human vaccines, my arm ached for 24 hours after the flu vaccine for example, the effects are not long-term or permanent thankfully.

One of our vets suspects the reason people are reporting a reaction to cylap but not to lapinject are due to the larger volume injected: 1ml, as opposed 0.5ml of lapinject xx

Back