• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and artifical grass.

HelenSB

Warren Scout
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yu05576ow6ybr2d/20150816_165638.jpg?dl=0

Mr Higgins now has his large Ryedale hutch attached to his 8ft x 4ft run which I'm very happy with. He's actually an indoor rabbit but goes outside for a few hours whenever the weather is good.

We have artifical grass so the run is on lino. I'm wondering how he would be on the artifical grass. Does anyone have any experience of this or is it a definate no no. I don't think he'd attempt to eat it but he might have a little dig. I obviously wouldn't attempt to try him with it unless I'm 100% sure he'd be fine.

No, please do not try because rabbits have a tendency to chew towels, carpets, synthetic materials which could really be bad to them.

Thank you for replying. I certainly won't ignore your advice but I've been researching on line this morning and it appears some people don't have any problems with their rabbits on astro turf. Don't worry I won't rush into anything and if I do try him on the grass I shall make sure I'm supervising him to see how he reacts. Thanks again for your advice.

Thank you for replying. I certainly won't ignore your advice but I've been researching on line this morning and it appears some people don't have any problems with their rabbits on astronomy turf. Don't worry I won't rush into anything and if I do try him on the grass I shall make sure I'm supervising him to see how he reacts. Thanks again for your advice.

I had someone ask me this about their balcony recently. The only thing I would be concerned about would be it's abrasiveness on the feet.

I had someone ask me this about their balcony recently. The only thing I would be concerned about would be it's abrasiveness on the feet.

It is high quality astro turf that we have and is actually quite soft under foot but thanks for bringing that to my attention. Something else to consider which I hadn't really thought of. I know it's pet friendly for dogs and cats but i didn't have my bunny when we had the turf put down.

It depends really on the rabbit, each has his own chewing preference and I know that carpet or brushy material is highly appreciated as it is not flat surface like lino. I used to cover my carpet with a sheet, otherwise my bunny took real pleasure to graze on it !!!

It is high quality astro turf that we have and is actually quite soft under foot but thanks for bringing that to my attention. Something else to consider which I hadn't really thought of. I know it's pet friendly for dogs and cats but i didn't have my bunny when we had the turf put down.
The problem is rabbits (especially some individuals or breeds such as the rex) can end up with sore hocks even from things that seem soft like carpet. This can turn bad fast if it breaks the skin and becomes infected.
Personally I would never risk astroturf as they will almost certainly eat it eventually which could cause a potentially life-threatening blockage. And it could cause problems for their paws such as sore hocks.

The problem is rabbits (especially some individuals or breeds such as the rex) can end up with sore hocks even from things that seem soft like carpet. This can turn bad fast if it breaks the skin and becomes infected.
Personally I would never risk astroturf as they will almost certainly eat it eventually which could cause a potentially life-threatening blockage. And it could cause problems for their paws such as sore hocks.

This.

Frosty and Snowflake were in my room for ages when I first got them (oh the cuteness) and had lovely soft rugs. They never ate them until suddenly one day ... chewed edges. So even if you watch and dont see any nibbling there is no guarantee that it wont suddenly happen one day.

F and S are now outdoors with two does, Tessie and Daisy. A happy quad.

Interesting topic as we're about to put artificial grass in the majority of our garden. We're having this stuff: http://www.grass-direct.co.uk/oasis.html

It is crazy soft (we've got a sample of it) and it's almost like walking on super cushy plush carpet.

I'd personally feel comfortable with allowing my buns out to run on the artificial grass but I certainly wouldn't want to leave them on it unsupervised.

Back