• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Protecting against infections

RosRWAF

Warren Scout
We have been asked about a cleaning protocol that would prevent rabbits from contracting Myxomatosis or EC from their accommodation, for example in boarding or rescue establishments, and suggest the following:

Thoroughly clean the area to remove any scale or residue
Use Ark-Klens , which is a benzalkonium chloride disinfectant and as such it should be effective against EC and Myxi, to routinely disinfect the housing. Periodically use Virkon (as an inorganic peroxygen compound) to kill any other viruses

Note: Other benzalkonium chloride disinfectants and inorganic peroxygen compounds may be available, in addition to those named above.

still the same advice for cleaning against EC & othe rinfectious diseases?

Just wondering really...I use white vinigar to wipe the hutches / runs down and to soak the litter trays in but often wonder if i should do a more thorough clean with a potent chemical to eradicate nasties just in case. Especially after they have had avet visit etc.

How often do you guys do the disinfect clean with chemicals mentioned?

I clean my litter trays every day and sweep them out too. Then now & again wipe with vinigar if there any spills. Never used any other strong chemicals as i worried about them licking the wood and getting ill or something.

As a pet owner, you are probably fine with the vinegar :)

The idea is you are protecting against any infectious diseases shed by rabbits previously living in the space, so when you've just got your own bunnies that's not an issue. If you got second hand accommodation/equipment, fostered rabbits, had a sick rabbit, boarded bunnies etc. then it would make sense to have a slightly more supped up cleaning protocol as you have different rabbits passing through.

It's also a good idea to do it at the end of the course of pancur if you are treating a rabbit for EC, as that stops anything in their environment reinfecting them.

As a pet owner, you are probably fine with the vinegar :)

The idea is you are protecting against any infectious diseases shed by rabbits previously living in the space, so when you've just got your own bunnies that's not an issue. If you got second hand accommodation/equipment, fostered rabbits, had a sick rabbit, boarded bunnies etc. then it would make sense to have a slightly more supped up cleaning protocol as you have different rabbits passing through.

It's also a good idea to do it at the end of the course of pancur if you are treating a rabbit for EC, as that stops anything in their environment reinfecting them.

Thanks Tamsin...makes sense. I wondered if I could carry any nasties back to my own buns after being around other rabbits away from home. I have used second hand accomadation...but used vinigar to literally soak the wood and dry it out for ever...and a clean disinfectant animal spray..which i never bothered buying again.

At least I know that if I need something I can come back to here & check on the products recommended...thanks again for such a fantastic forum and advice...the amount I have learnt ( and have still to learn) and passed on it fantastic. cheers :)

thanks Jane....funny you say that as a friend has just got one from B&Q for £50 and apparently its superb...:thumb:

Steam cleaners are brilliant. Mine is always ready for action. No bugs survive, no chemicals needed, no residue

Back