• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

problem with cats bothering rabbits!

I totally understand ERC, my comments kind of do effect cat owners in general (I don't think there's a way to avoid that, sadly), so sorry if the comments felt quite personal. I'm sure you're as responsible as can be with neutering, microchipping etc - which is for now, the real way forward to at least lessen 'feral cats' either from litters or whatever reason. You did ask for ideas on keeping them on your property too - so it shows to me you are least very conscious of the effects of others from your pusscats, where as a lot of people just don't give a toss. Not all owners of any pet are irresponsible, it's just with cats, because they do roam so do have an effect on others, it's more noticable I guess. I wasn't trying to say you're an irresponsible owner - I know that's not the case. It's just society has kind of set things the way they are, and I do think it needs to change before it's too late. Irresponsible owners are one's who don't bother spaying/castrating, wouldn't of dreamed of micro chipping before the law came in, and just left their cats to breed :( I do totally get where you're coming from in that once cats become roamers, it can present welfare issues for them, confining them. I guess I just hope eventually the law will sway to owners starting to have to keep them on property - which does still mean giving them space :D

I think cats make wonderful companions, and certainly don't begrudge anyone this privilege. I just hope one day, people can still enjoy this privilege, and it have a bit less effect on environment etc too. Sorry for any upset I caused xx

There are lots of cat containment systems out there that cat owners can attach to their fences to keep them safe in their own gardens, but these look the most attractive http://www.katzecure.com/. It's a roller system that just rolls round as soon as the cat jumps on it, so it can never get over the top :thumb:. Can also be attached to brickwork and gates etc.

What a fab idea, thanks for posting, Mackers! Much more attractive than some other options I've seen, too.

My whole lawn is surrounded by sonic cat scarers! I switch them off when the piggies are out, of course. It doesn't totally put cats off, as they get used to them, but it does seem to help a little with the poo.

I had a scare a few weeks ago where I was sitting outside with Amber in the run, with the lid open. Yes, I shouldn't have had the lid open, but I was literally sitting right next to the run. I suddenly spotted a cat that had stalked Amber so silently that it was right in front of the run and next to me when I noticed it. I then had some real trouble getting it out of the garden, as it was determined to stay. It really shook me up, and now I have the pigs fully enclosed, even when I am sitting right there.

I totally understand ERC, my comments kind of do effect cat owners in general (I don't think there's a way to avoid that, sadly), so sorry if the comments felt quite personal. I'm sure you're as responsible as can be with neutering, microchipping etc - which is for now, the real way forward to at least lessen 'feral cats' either from litters or whatever reason. You did ask for ideas on keeping them on your property too - so it shows to me you are least very conscious of the effects of others from your pusscats, where as a lot of people just don't give a toss. Not all owners of any pet are irresponsible, it's just with cats, because they do roam so do have an effect on others, it's more noticable I guess. I wasn't trying to say you're an irresponsible owner - I know that's not the case. It's just society has kind of set things the way they are, and I do think it needs to change before it's too late. Irresponsible owners are one's who don't bother spaying/castrating, wouldn't of dreamed of micro chipping before the law came in, and just left their cats to breed :( I do totally get where you're coming from in that once cats become roamers, it can present welfare issues for them, confining them. I guess I just hope eventually the law will sway to owners starting to have to keep them on property - which does still mean giving them space :D

I think cats make wonderful companions, and certainly don't begrudge anyone this privilege. I just hope one day, people can still enjoy this privilege, and it have a bit less effect on environment etc too. Sorry for any upset I caused xx

No worries at all, I blame pregnancy hormones :D

Irresponsible cat owners should be shot on sight, they drive me nuts too. I'm hoping once the baby is here and we eventually get a house move that the wire on the fence will be a tenable solution. Not only would it keep mine in but it would keep the unneutered, vicious ones out. They attack my cats and stalk the bunnies/piggies. Ideally cat-proof fences would be a legal requirement and then councils and HAs would have to make some allowances.

Well, I can dream.

Back