• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Potentially sensitive: should terminally ill rabbits be vaccinated

I'm really grateful for all these replies. J&B I think are prob low risk - they live upstairs which is a strictly no shoe zone & as Omi says at least its not the season for biting insects. I'm not going to put him through it as things stand

I think that’s the right decision :)

I didn’t vaccinate any of my sanctuary bunnies after they developed a condition that would mean it was harmful for them, or, it may not take effect. I basically conducted a risk assessment, and went with the least risky option. I had done who weren’t vaccinated for years. I’m a big quality over quantity and would do whatever was in the best interest of the bunny- I don’t believe there to be a right or wrong answer to this- just you, your bunny, the condition and the individual risks.

Ok I'm back. Similar question but this time bunny is old & very wonky, appears to be nearing the end but at the same time keeps surprising me - would you vaccinate Mouseypie? She is really skinny & frail but won't stop smiling. Reason I'm asking is Bob has new job & we can't get time off to go to harrogate so I'll take Boo locally. Anyone happy to answer a WWYD ? TIA

I think for me it would depend on how stressed Mousey gets at the vets? If she's fine with going to the vet, and with it being done locally there's not much travel time, either, I think for me personally it would be worth it, just to be safe. But if she gets very stressed, or the travelling is hard on her wonky body, I'm not sure.

Ok I'm back. Similar question but this time bunny is old & very wonky, appears to be nearing the end but at the same time keeps surprising me - would you vaccinate Mouseypie? She is really skinny & frail but won't stop smiling. Reason I'm asking is Bob has new job & we can't get time off to go to harrogate so I'll take Boo locally. Anyone happy to answer a WWYD ? TIA

I have an appointment with Ruth tomorrow if you want me to put the question to her? Obviously, she wouldn't be able to say for definite she would decide to vaccinate without examining the rabbit but she could say if she felt it was a definite 'No', don't put her through the trauma of it.

I have an appointment with Ruth tomorrow if you want me to put the question to her? Obviously, she wouldn't be able to say for definite she would decide to vaccinate without examining the rabbit but she could say if she felt it was a definite 'No', don't put her through the trauma of it.

Thanks BB. I actually asked Ruth the other week about Mouse when I told her about Joey. She thinks vaccinations should go ahead unless we don't anticipate Mousey lasting more than a month or 2. I'm not feeling entirely comfy with it. Ruth also doesn't like any bunny vacs to go over, says immunity has much more longevity in cats & dogs. I hope Arthur gets on ok. Hows he doing?

Reader of books - thank you for your thoughts, you sound as decided as me :lol: Your answer is really helpful though as I do have to carry Mouse in my arms so I couldn't do that & see Boo was ok easily...so if I take her locally I'll take her separately. I could get her treatment transferred locally I guess. She's on palliative care ...so if she needed surgery or any intensive treatment we'd say goodbye. Its their expertise in GA's I love at Crab Lane (Harrogate) so want to keep Boo on their books ..plus she has the dodgy eye thing which does get gradually worse

Since Mousey is on palliative care and there won't be any intensive treatment for her anymore, it sounds like it could be worth it to get her transferred to the local vet? It'd save a lot of travel for her, and it could be easier to take her there for a vaccination, if you decide you do want to go through with it. It's a difficult decision! I understand why you'd want Boo to stay at the other vets as they have more expertise, though.

Thanks BB. I actually asked Ruth the other week about Mouse when I told her about Joey. She thinks vaccinations should go ahead unless we don't anticipate Mousey lasting more than a month or 2. I'm not feeling entirely comfy with it. Ruth also doesn't like any bunny vacs to go over, says immunity has much more longevity in cats & dogs. I hope Arthur gets on ok. Hows he doing?

Ah, that does create a dilemma for you then.

Arthur's is doing okay thanks. I think the prepuce looks less sore, though he really didn't like me messing with it earlier, poor bunny. He's getting very reluctant having Baytril forced into his mouth too :cry: He's still been a bright little trip hazard following me everywhere, so hopefully he's okay in himself. He's having his bladder expressed tomorrow. I can't remember if I am leaving him and he will need sedating. I think so. Frances used to express Artie's bladder every 4-5 weeks and do it in a consultation. I calculate we had about 50 of those appointments - no wonder I got to know her pretty well.

Lydia talked about kidney stones as if that was a significant risk but from Artie's history I didn't get the impression it was but that he was very unlucky.

Difficult decision :( I think I could justify either way.

I would consider how much of a risk it would be to not vaccinate in the same way as I would have done with Joey. I would also consider how the vaccine itself might impact her and in that regard I would think the worst it would be that she would feel pretty rubbish for up to 24 hours. I don't think it would impact on her wonkiness and it's not as though she has immune system issues to consider. She probably would not be overly stressed by the vet visit.

Having set this out, I think on balance, I would be more likely to get her vaccinated. The key unknowable is how much longer she has.

thanks everyone. I'm going to take Boo locally in the next week, I'll have a few sleeps on the Mousey thing. Whether she has her vacs or not she'll need a review soon so will make final decision then. I feel miserable vet hopping but I do think her being seen locally would be kinder. I always worry what new vets will think when they see Mouse & what they might do. Pauls face was a picture at her last review

thanks everyone. I'm going to take Boo locally in the next week, I'll have a few sleeps on the Mousey thing. Whether she has her vacs or not she'll need a review soon so will make final decision then. I feel miserable vet hopping but I do think her being seen locally would be kinder. I always worry what new vets will think when they see Mouse & what they might do. Pauls face was a picture at her last review

I get on great with the vet hopping. I am completely open with Sam. She understands the deal with Ruth and Heather being so rabbit savvy. Sam is one of my favourite vets ever to be fair, it's just a shame they are about 30% more expensive and the rest of the team being utterly **** with rabbits. Sam was so amazingly understanding when I used A Vets due to not being able to leave elderly parents for long. It is maybe harder for you as your local vet is also RWAF silver so harder to justify using the remote vet.

I get on great with the vet hopping. I am completely open with Sam. She understands the deal with Ruth and Heather being so rabbit savvy. Sam is one of my favourite vets ever to be fair, it's just a shame they are about 30% more expensive and the rest of the team being utterly **** with rabbits. Sam was so amazingly understanding when I used A Vets due to not being able to leave elderly parents for long. It is maybe harder for you as your local vet is also RWAF silver so harder to justify using the remote vet.

When I was discussing vaccs with Ruth I said maybe I take Boo locally so she's not late she was fine with that. Boo has a complicated history so it makes sense to keep her at Crab Lane - Heather & Ruth know her well

Poor Arthur - I can see why he wouldn't want any interventions, it must be uncomfortable. Do you think he'd like a hugger bed as I'm making Boo another at weekend anyway? It'd look rough as a badgers bum but Boo & Mouse have testified they are really comfy

Back