• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Neutering Male not eating seems to be in severe pain.

I am glad that he is alright now but I cannot believe how your vets has been to you (sorry if im misinterpreting it). When my female rabbit was spayed she wasn't allowed home until she had poo'd and eaten at the vets.

I would have thought all vets had the same safety precautions, and suggesting you get a syring from a chemist rather than bringing your bun in if not eating seems very unproffesional and unconsiderate of the animal. I acknowledge your distance issue but if the rabbit hasn't eaten in such a long time then it seems vital to go [if physically possible of course].

I'll be honest and say my rabbit had to stay in overnight as she still hadn't eaten by 8pm (her op was around 2pm) and in the night she went the poo'd and had a wee but still refused to eat. The nurses tried to syringe her but couldnt (they said they'd never met a rabbit that wouldn't eat before!! lol) in the morning I came in and explained i'd take her home coz shes really nervous and i thought thats why she wasn't eating. They agreed as i only live 5min walk round the corner so could bring her back if not eaten in few hours.

Luckily my daft bunny got home, hopped straight to the hay rack and began eating like she's been starved for a week! The fussy madam didn't half worry the vets!! So i rang them and said she was piggin out happily, then just took her in for her check up in a few days.

As for the stitches, i couldn't see my rabbits either as most vets use dissolvable stitches now which take up to 3 months to completely vanish. This last week (3 weeks after her spay) a tiny cord and stitch was visible and the vet just cut the unneeded bit off while she was in today for her mixi jab as her wound is completely healed (it healed within a couple of days to be honest and fur was back i swear in only a week haha).

Sorry i went on a bit, i just couldn't believe how your vets reacted.... sorry if im going on at them too much :oops:

Really really happy that he's getting better :D :D Love to be kept updated :D :D

OMG sam spice that is the cutest Neddie i have ever seen omg. :love:

She said that cos hes male and its a simple operation the painkillers he had for the operation wuda been enough. She is a nice vet i think i was just being too shy and not asking her because when she could see that i was stressed she explained everything very clearly to me. It was probably me misunderstanding her at first and panicing.

He is actually staying for one more night and beign picked up 2moz because hes only eating hay (i gave her a bag of timothy hay and his dry food when i took him back) and not his dry food and theyre syringing him but she said he keeps refusing it and dribbling it on his face ^^ but he is a very stubborn wee thing.

i got some fresh greens and mint for him when he comes home along with his usual snacks ^^ so roll on 2moro. I feel so lost without him for 2 days I dunno how parents do it. lol

Just an update - Kirby is back now and running around, he is a little more aprehensive than usual but hes eating greens now and pooping and peeing where he usually does. Drinking water from a bowl also. He is normally on a bottle but i think il continue to give it to him in a bowl for a while.

He doesnt seem impressed by the mint i got him ^.^ tho i tried a bit and wasnt impressed either.

Haha thats great news :D :D i love how he wouldn't syringe as well haha daft bunnies just dont appreciate whats good for them haha :lol:

I like how you took your own food to the vets, i think thats why mine might not have eaten too :p silly fussy animals haha

Very glad to hear he's on the mend, you got any cute piccies of him :D :D he sounds so adorable!!

Back