• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please recommend a pellet for a megacolon bun?

Nova

Young Bun
My main question is, is there a pellet out there that is designed, tried, true, and proven to be more easy to digest than Oxbow bunny Basics Adult? Currently Boon can't even tolerate even a teaspoon of that anymore after his last episode of Stasis. He is a megacolon bun.

Boon is only 1.5 years old and he's had more Stasis episodes than I can count, and he's been on Cisapride for 6 months now, he's dependent on it, I can't taper him off of it without him going through a Stasis. I do not like Reglan. It doesn't help him and can cause nasty side effects. Vet isn't sure about how Domperidone might react with the Cisapride, but that might be next to try. However instead of adding more DRUGS I'd really like to try and get him on the right DIET, as drugs stop working after a while and have side effects.

After his most recent Stasis episode 2 weeks ago, which responded pretty good to an enema and WOW he was constipated... it was a slow recovery and he tested positive for Campylobacter and Staph Intermedius in fecal culture that day so he will be going onto Chloramphenicol antibiotic for that.

Recently, I introduced Boon to the "wild rabbit diet," and got some blackberry leaves. I didn't know these can treat diarrhea, (which can cause constipation). Boon gobbled up the blackberry leaves but is now constipated again.He sits in his litterbox and strains, his poops are tiny or mishapen, and he's scheduled for another enema tomorrow. I really don't know if it's the blackberry leaves that are stopping him up or if he's just going thru another bout of stasis......but he definitely needs another enema, and I really need to get on the ball with a diet for his sensitive condition.

His diet is currently:

• Endless amounts of High quality Oat Hay (he won't eat timothy and I am allergic to grass...all grass....severely allergic...I thought it was just fresh grass but also apparently grass hays too....I found this out the hard way).
  • 10CC Critical Care 2-3 times a day (he loves this and it's easy for him to digest but during times like these, constipation, stasis, etc. I have to force it on him and it is painful for both of us
  • 1 teaspoon of Oxbow Bunny Basics Adult rabbit pellets
  • 1 small handful of wet cilantro, escarole or endive
  • A fresh bowl of filtered water daily
  • Occasional chamomile leaves to help calm him
  • no treats - too sensitive

He also is on 1gm of BeneBac a few times per week, and he gets a droplet of liquid vitamins with probiotics (Acidophilus Plus) daily to help supplement his nutrition needs.

I'd like to add some things to his diet, maybe somethings from the wild rabbit diet that might help keep his gut moving? since he pretty much lives on Critical Care and oat hay...very little else except the small handful of wet leafies. And I'd love to know if there is a pelleted food out there that is EASIER to digest than Oxbow. BETTER for his tummy than the Oxbow.

I just don't know what more I can possibly do!!! I would like to add something to his diet - perhaps something in te wild rabbit diet that I am not allergic to that would help increase motility and be more easily digestible. I don't know if the Oxbow Adult pellets are the best choice for his condition either. I'm willing to order Internationally. Please please help.

Last edited:
I read it now, thank you for referring it to me. A huge thanks to thumps_ (Judy) for even posting it. She's an angel, where are her wings?!?!

sorry I'm a little out of sorts on here. :\ today was a very bad day for Boon, but that's why I need to know more about the wild diet.

The bramble leaves, at least from my research, actually cause constipation - we do not want that in a bun who is already experiencing hypomotility or Stasis....right?

so, which wild leaves/herbs etc should I choose for a bun with *slow* motility? I guess that's what I can't figure out. Which forages speed things up? I guess I already discovered which ones slow things down. I also read where Dandelion can make them pass water as a diuretic, plus I'm allergic to dandelion, so that's a no go...

Diarrhea was never really a problem with Boon.....

Though he has been trying to chew cardboard, wood, even his blanket, so I KNOw he's craving more long stranded fiber.

I wonder if Apple leaves would help promote GI motility? And Willow? There are many apple orchards here, and willow trees. I have many strawberry bushes, but strawberry leaves act much the same way as raspberry and blackberry leaves..they're bramble....they help with diarrhea, not constipation. at least that's how I understand it?

as far as a pelleted diet, he hasn't had pellets in days now. I wanted to order this:
http://www.harrisonpet.com/index.php?p=view_products.View&mode=1&aid=3&bid=1&cid=3&pid=31
it's "Extruded" pellets and I've been reading where extruded pellets are an option for megacolon buns, but that brand does not ship to the U.S. they ship to Monaco, Malaysia, Canada, UK, Afghanistan......but not the U.S.
If anyone can help me order from them, I would so appreciate it. There must be serious issues with imports here. I'm growing quite disgusted with my country's policies.

My Dysautoniomia (a bit like megacolon) bun Daisy can't tolerate much.

Her diet (including meds) is

Morning
2 Scoops of Protexin Pro Fibre (between her and Snoopy)
0.2mls of Cisapride
Unlimited Hay

Evening
0.2mls Cisapride
1 Scoop of Profibre
Bowl of dried forage/herbs. I try to tailor these to tummy helping ones, such as strawberry leaves, mint, chamomile, echinacea, I dry parsley for her as well. She can't tolerate much fresh so I dry a lot of stuff for her which she seems to tolerate better.
Hay

She also gets Fibreplez if she is really bad.

She doesn't get any commercial rabbit feed, only the profibre pellets and her poos are the best they have ever been and we haven't had stasis since before xmas now :D

Back