• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor enclosure bedding?

Hello,
I am currently in the process of planning and gathering resources ready to build a shed for my two rescue rabbits (Which we are very excited about :D) While they will be getting a good amount of space, I still want to add a small run to one side so they can have some outdoor playtime (Note, they do have one 6x4 metre run each for daily exercise which will be separate from their shed ;) ) When the run eventually gets added to the shed, I was just wondering if there is a type of bedding/substrate which I could use outside to put in the run. I'm trying to move away from concrete slabs as that was all my rabbits knew in their previous home. Has anyone got any suggestions or ideas of what I could use?

Thank you! :)

(I have known of some people using hemp bedding outdoors, would this be a wise decision?)

Hi, welcome to the forum. I don't really have any advice to offer, but I'll be watching with interest as I'm planning a shed / run project myself, for my trio.

I'm in the process of trying to source some paving slabs for my run as this is what I planned to use. But they seem to be too expensive or not near our area, so I'll be interested to hear others ideas too. I did think about paving under the outside edges of the run to make it predator & digging proof, but maybe use something else in the centre.

Currently I have a run which I have put a plywood base on and covered it in vinyl, so they can have access 24/7 no matter the weather, but this may not work too well on a larger scale.

Have you chosen your shed yet?

Sorry I can't be more help, I'm very much in the planning stages too! X

Btw I did use a section of hemp matting when my rabbits were on grass (as it had turned into mud) but it was torn / eaten in no time x

Our rabbits have a run attached to the shed and we have found that if you put plywood straight onto the ground it will rot very, very quickly due to the rising damp/moisture in the ground.

Therefore, buy a groundsheet or waterproof sheet to put down first. Then put your plywood on top of that. Layer this with newspaper and then on top of said newspaper a nice thick (and I mean thick!) layer of hay, with toys etc. Your bunnies will have something they can sleep in, play in, and eat.

Ours love it!

In fact, if it's dry tomorrow we are going to give the run a good sweep, bin what's damp (it will still get damp unless the sides are entirely waterproof and rain can't get in from the bottom), and put fresh newspaper down where necessary and replace the hay as well.

We only have to re-do the run every 3 or 4 months, depending on what the weather's been like.

Hello 😁 Have you tried car boot sales etc. to source some paving slabs? You'll be surprised what you will find there!

I am yet to find anything else which I could lay down in the run but I will post anything that I find here 😉 And we are actually building ours from recycled pallets and scrap wood (Which should be interesting as we have little DIY experience 😉) I'm thinking of doing a project diary on here to show the progress if that would help people with their sheds!

(Oh yes, I should have said my current set up also has 3 wooden bearers underneath the plywood, which are pressure treated. They don't stop all the moisture, but do help raise the whole thing up a bit :) )

I hadn't thought of car boot sales for paving! We just moved here 2 weeks ago, so I'll have to find out where they hold them. Thank you.

A project diary sounds like a great idea and would definitely help others too!

Hopefully someone will be along will some suggestions for the run x

Paving is actually one of the best bases for a run that you can have really. I honestly would recommend using that as a base and adding lots of fun textures with activities like grass trays, digging boxes, tree stumps to jump on etc. That way you've still got an easy-clean, safe base but the buns still have lots of exciting things to do! :)

A "no mess" digging box from Mannor Pet Housing - http://www.manorpethousing.co.uk/digging-box :
image.asp
image.asp

Even just a plastic tub will do though:
hqdefault.jpg

Grass trays:
grass-dog-bed-300x225.jpg

3b96d55712499d531e23952e0e5e35e3.jpg

Boxes or tree stumps to jump on:
ab42248f2b58098e39b9500218359ee9.jpg

Back