• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Options for Treating Jaw Abscesses U/D Incisor Removal?

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Maddie had treatment for a jaw abscess only 5 weeks ago and last week I thought I noticed her jawline swelling up again. It is, and the vet thinks its the actual bone swelling this time rather than an obvious lump on the surface as there was the first time.

She had the first one drained and the impregnated beads inserted which seemed to work - well its not returned to that site anyway. She was also on Baytril at the same time.

So what is the best thing to do for her now? (She is booked in for surgery and x-rays on Wednesday). Is the beads and Baytril treatment enough, I really want to give her the best chance of beating this. I'll ask for a C&S test this time too, but will Baytril be ok for now?

Thanks

Last edited:
Poor Maddie, I really hope all goes well for her on Wednesday and I will be thinking of you too.
You can tell her from me that if she isn't good then there are no rich T biscuits for her at the weekend;)

I don't rate baytril at all, it's a very old fashioned antibiotic. We routinely treat rabbits with marbocyl SA and penicillin.

Well, Maddie is awake and I'm collecting her tonight, she is OK. Theres is no sign of osteomyletis on the xrays but the vets found that its probably her incisor roots thats causing the abcesses. They've removed as much of the (two) abscess capsules as they could and put in another gentamycin bead and taken a sample for culture test.

So i've got to think about the option of removing her incisors - I thought they should have done it while she was still under today, but think they wanted to give me the option to mull it over?

Poor Mads, but at least we know whats happening now.

ETA: Spoke to the vets tonight and they're not sure about taking the teeth out because of the potential for them breaking if they're weakened by the infection - they look very irregular on the xray. They're certain that this is the source of infection and that removing the source is the right option, they're going to get some advice on this but I wondered if anyone has had experience of removing teeth following an infection??

Last edited:
Back