• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on this hutch please :)

i'd have it directly onto concrete slabs with no lino . will help wear claws down. if you had it on grass the grass would be all gone in a couple of days and you would have to underwire it else the rabbit would be very vulnerable to preditors digging in.

The width is great, but it looks like the height of each level must only be just over 1.5 feet (if I have worked it out correctly?). That doesn't give enough height for buns to stretch up.

Hutches of that design would be fine on patio though, so that nobun can dig out.

What is your budget? Would you consider a single story hutch with an attached run? You could probably get a nice 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch for the cost of the one you linked to, then perhaps you could pick up a second-hand run? I find runs easier to get hold of second hand than (good sized) hutches.

They're not very deep :wave: it's not a 'proper' 2ft depth which is the minimum, but I am having to buy a shed because even 2ft deep isn't enough for my pair. Our garden centre had this hutch in 4ft, 5ft and 6ft but they were off 2ft even though it said they were. Not great quality either.

When I was cleaning them out once I got in the hutch and thought if I was a rabbit there was no way I would want to spend time in there because it was too small (6ft) and even though they have 2 runs attached it just isn't enough for them.

It will be worth spending the money on a decent hutch/run rather than buying something and not being happy with it or more importantly the rabbit not being happy with it. Might be worth looking at the requirements rescues rehome to as well.

Last edited:
I would agree a single hutch & run would be better. Also this hutch is not very good as the rabbit will nibble the inside of the doors where the wire is, and this will eventually need replacing. I see this a lot at the sanctuary.

Try to get one where the wire is fixed on the inside so the bun cant nibble on frame, it is not so much of a problem in the sleeping quarters as they cant see out so generally don't nibble. :D:D

The width is great, but it looks like the height of each level must only be just over 1.5 feet (if I have worked it out correctly?). That doesn't give enough height for buns to stretch up.

Hutches of that design would be fine on patio though, so that nobun can dig out.

What is your budget? Would you consider a single story hutch with an attached run? You could probably get a nice 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch for the cost of the one you linked to, then perhaps you could pick up a second-hand run? I find runs easier to get hold of second hand than (good sized) hutches.

Hi AnnieElms :wave:

I had thought about a 6ft single hutch (seen a lovely one on happy hutch site), and I already have a run. I suppose I just wanted to get as much space at possible, I hasn't noticed how small, height wise, this hutch is!!

Thanks to everyone for the advice, very much appreciated :D

Well I spoke to my local bunny rescue this morning, to get their opinion. They said they didnt like double decker hutches as they have seen too many bunnies who have got injured using them :(. He recommended a 6ft single storey with a large run, so thats what I am now hunting for :) I have seen a 6ft one on Happy hutch with extra long legs that I am considering as I have a problem with my joints and do struggle abit to reach the back of his current hutch.

Back