• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh dear, 111 rabbits!

Completely agree, welfare is constantly moving forward and we all need to move with it :)

We've done nearly eight years, there is no way I'm doing another eight, far too emotionally draining. Everyone that goes takes a little bit more of me with them :(

I do the same getting to know them process but if I can do it while I bond them so much the better. Of course it isn't always possible, there isn't always a compatible group available, and of course the bucks normally have to be neutered prior to bonding. Although after bonding Sunshine who clearly will never be well enough to neuter fairly easily, I put two of the unneutered bucks who arrived last week together straight away. They were great and so happy to have each other! Now they can go to the vet for their neutering together which will make it less stressful for them. I wouldn't have tried it if they were younger, but they are about six so I thought it was worth a try. My advantage is that I have so many candidates available for match making. I know them all really well so can work out potential groupings depending on temperament but also on housing needs etc. Whether they can jump obviously limits where they can live. We are running a bit short of single level housing as we have so many elderly rabbits (a quarter of our rabbits are over 8) as well as younger ones with mobility or vision issues. Some rabbits do wait longer. Aniseed took ages to bond when he arrived as he is a grumpy old wotsit, but when Lavender arrived I added her to his group, no problem. She was basically a walking skeleton but I could tell she would be lively when she recovered despite the horrific ear infections (she has pus caked thick all over her lopped ear, and she went from 1.8 kg to 2.5kg in a month!). I suspect that if I had waited they would have fought as she is feistier now, but I put them in with her the day after she arrived while her ears were still raw and she desperately needed comfort.

Anyway there is no single best way to do things. We each do it the way that works for us. But I know that I am continually learning more about these complicated little critters. I am always adapting my methods as I gain more and more experience. This is the tenth year since I started Hopper Haven. I suspect I'll still be learning in another ten!

Obviously I do not have your experience and this question probably reflects that ! But what about disease control/quarantine of new arrivals ? I had always assumed (maybe wrongly) that in a multi- Rabbit setting quarantine of new intakes was necessary ?

As I said, my question may be ridiculous, I am just interested in the opinion of others re quarantining new intakes to a multi- Rabbit setting.

Biscuit is well awway from all our other rabbits and will be for at least two weeks.

If we are taking in from reputable rescues then we don't quarantine, but from individuals we do. But we call it our getting to know you period :)

Back