• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Hutch Options

zarathustra

Warren Scout
Hi All.

Lola and Pips house is coming to the end of its life after 2 years.

They currently have one of these https://homeandroost.co.uk/product/hutch-6ft-kendal-hutch-run/ which is connected to their run via a tunnel and has had some modifications as Lola doesn’t do ramps.

It’s not a bad hutch, but the layers of wood that make up the floor are starting to separate, so it will need replacing, preferably over the summer.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent, reasonably priced, hutch?

Hi, my bunnies hutch floor went like that and we just brought some wood and replaced the floor as the rest of the hutch was fine. We took the old floor out and used it as a template for the new one. Just an idea if the rest of the hutch is in good condition xx

Sent from my SM-A516B using Tapatalk

If the rest is Ok, you could just replace the floor with some exterior ply sheeting. It shouldn't be too big a job. Don't use anything too thin, or it will give way. It's readily available from Wickes, B&Q, local woodyards, etc. You can also give the whole structure a spruce up with a new coat of paint.

Or look at a shed or wendy house - more floor area, no ramps, easier to clean out.

Top tip: don't use B&Q's ply sheeting if you can, it's AWFUL. Their exterior stuff is about as strong as Wickes interior stuff and generally worse quality, also a lot more expensive. Wickes stuff is much better, woodyards' will be even better I expect. You'll want to use 12mm minimum.

You can check your local Freecycle and Freegle, Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree etc. for wendy/playhouses, there's usually something available and the smaller ones will fit in an estate car, or small van (the ones that are about £35 to hire for the day from nationwide hire places).

Thanks all, diy is definitely not my forte so I think a new hutch is probably the safest option.

It’s not going to collapse any time soon so I have a while to check out available options.

I quite like the idea of a play house or shed.

Thanks all, diy is definitely not my forte so I think a new hutch is probably the safest option.

It’s not going to collapse any time soon so I have a while to check out available options.

I quite like the idea of a play house or shed.
I have to say, my DIY skills are rubbish but safe (it looks bad but it does the job, mostly!). Putting a secondhand playhouse back up was really easy, like making a simple kit, you just need two people to hold things and screw the screws in etc., and that's when it comes with the screws, bolts etc. The hardest bit of insulating the inside was cutting the plywood sheets because I cannot cut straight :lol: I did get them cut at B&Q but needed to do the smaller bits myself, and the diagonals. With a playhouse it's all about prep as well: make sure the floor is sound, make sure it's well oiled/whatever to keep the water out and that it's raised off the floor on bricks/similar, especially if it's over dirt not concrete/paving.

Thanks all.

My wife seems to be on board with the second hand playhouse idea, although it’s hard enough keeping our son out of the hutch, he might decide to move in with them if they have a playhouse.

Back