• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New here and undecided about outdoor housing

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all, I'm really hoping that some of you might be able to offer some advice and maybe share some experiences about your outdoor housing.

I have three mini lop / lion head rabbits. Currently they are living in a hutch with an under run to which they have access 24/7, as I've put it on a base with Lino and made it all weather. But it was only ever a temporary home and not big enough now they are adults.

We move house in 2 weeks and I have a budget of approx £500 to spend on new housing.

I have looked endlessly at sheds, aviaries and dog kennels and runs as I want them to have as much space as possible. I've spent hours calculating measurements etc and I still can't decide. Our new garden is big enough for a quite a large building, within reason.

I thought I had decided on a large kennel and run of possibly 16ft x 4ft or 12ft x 4ft but then realised they are only 4ft high and myself and my children want to be able to sit inside with the rabbits.

I also looked at possibly getting one that's not as long but maybe 6ft wide, which is better?

Would an aviary be a better option? They seem so open to the elements. I'd probably still need a playhouse or similar to go inside, wouldn't I?

I'm going around in circles, please help! Thanks for reading, feel free to ask any questions :)

I like the idea of a kennel (I'm pretty sure you can get walk in kennels online). You could always extend more runs onto it in the future via a run around system.

My girls are indoors so hopefully someone else will be along soon who has more experience of outdoor housing. (All my outdoor housing has been for ferrets.. they just got a massive aviary (pre built.))

Although I adapted it to make it more user-friendly, I originally had a kennel built by a local shed maker for £500. It was a 9 x 5 foot walk in kennel with two levels at one end.

Last edited:
I have an 8 x 6 foot shed attached to a mesh 10 x 6 foot aviary. Brilliant for ease of access and plenty of space for them all. The shed was over 500 and the aviary was 'free' as I already had all the mesh and wood from an older set up at our last house.

Well worth getting the best quality shed (or whatever you choose) that you can afford. Rabbits live a long time!

Many thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

It's so difficult to make a decision and I really want to get it right.

I do think that if I go with the dog kennel / run option, I might regret not having the height to be able to sit inside and interact with the rabbits.

I have seen a 11ft x 5ft aviary with kick boards that I like the look of, is this big enough for 3? I would have to weather proof the roof, I've see a fully clad version but my garden is quite overlooked so the neighbours might not appreciate something that tall.

I do love some of the shed / aviary set ups I've seen online, but I don't think I could do this with my budget. I'm not against a second hand project, but my husband said he doesn't fancy dismantling a shed to have to rebuild it again.

I also need to factor in whether I need a flat base of some sort like paving slabs as the garden is all grass.

Apologies for being so clueless x

It's great that you're taking the time to weigh up all your options and get it right, rather than jump in head first and regret your decision. I would go for a large, good quality shed that I could attach a run to. In the short term, you could attach your existing run to save funds and when when time and money permits, buy a larger run. A small outside run wouldn't hurt now because they would have the large indoor area of the shed as floor space. It's cheaper to buy or make a run than it is to buy a shed!

If you go to your local shed builders, they will build one to your specification.

We used to have a wendy house with low run attached. I have never looked back after getting a dog "chalet". We have heating, lighting and an ip camera in there to keep an eye on them and it is all under cover and much easier to spend time with them and give meds etc if need be.

Definitely worth not rushing into it but take your time to get what you want.

Here is mine:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...U-D-Photos-for-Liz/page3&highlight=dog+chalet

We have altered this so in the winter it has a shutter that comes down permanently and perspex at the bottom for them to look out. Also to be honest they have the main part to live in and the smaller bit we now tend to put all the hay etc in. It works well for us and they have the run of the garden when we are around.

Thanks everyone.

Your chalet looks fantastic bunny babe. I'd love something like that, but think it's out of my price range. Do you mind me asking what size it is?

Thanks Mackers, I think I'll go back and look at some of the sheds I've considered previously, as an option. Your right, I could do it in stages and had thought I could incorporate their existing hutch / run into the design with maybe a tunnel linking them.

X

My lot love having a hutch inside the shed to sit on! It makes a nice cosy look out spot and is well above the draughts that come through the two 'doors' to the run (holes in the shed walll, cut to rabbit size).

It is 6 x 12 ft. We had the chalet made locally and bought the mesh separate. I don't think the total price was that far away from your budget. The shed bit is 6 x 4 and the run bit 6 x 8. You could have one a bit smaller to fit your price range. It is worth ringing around.

My interpretation of a kennel is one that can easily be sat in/walk in . . . like this (but with smaller mesh of course):

DogKennel.jpg

13.2.jpg

Hi Lisa, thank you for replying. I've actually been looking at those ones, but I think the pictures can be deceptive sometimes, I think the top one I've seen in 4 or 5 foot. The second one is better, but I've seen those for £900 so can't really afford one. Maybe the 5ft would be doable?

Thanks, bunny babe, that gives me some idea what's possible.

Does anyone know what the recommended dimensions are for 3 rabbits as most of what I've read refers to 1 or 2 rabbits?

Definitely worth looking to see if you have a local shed company who will make something to your specification. It often works out more competitive price wise and better quality too. I had a 6x8 shed with a partitionand door of 3x6 for the bunnies to live in with the rest as storage and an attached 6x8 full height run with a hatch/sliding door between the two. It definitely makes cleaning out easier and is great to sit in and interact with them. I am of course biased about the local shed thing, I ended up marrying the guy who built my shed!

Hi Glingle :wave: well I already have a husband lol :D but I'll look into finding a local shed builder in our new area.

I guess it's a good way to get exactly what you want. I've dreamt of having a 'bunny balcony' since seeing them on the Internet. Wonder if I could get one attached to a my shed x

I have a double apexed dog kennel and run and mine is 6ft at the eaves, and I love it! It gives them plenty of space and the run is completely covered from the elements. Mine has kick boards around the run apart from the door which has a Perspex panel on it and the buns always sit looking out, so either don't kick panel the whole run or put a shelf in so they can still sit and see out.

Mine was £100 secondhand and then I spent a good £200-300 on paint, insulation, new roof felt etc etc for it.

Here's mine;
IMAG1462_zps18600444.jpg

I'd definitely go for 6' so you can walk in - it makes the world of difference. Aviaries are more open, but to be honest bunnies don't seem to mind at all. Given the option they'll quite happily sit out in an exposed run rather than inside a shed.

Some of the suppliers will be building to order and will happily adjust designs to suit what you want, and it can often be surprisingly cheap considering it's custom.

Personally I'd go for a large aviary style, will one sheltered wall and a full or part roof. Then you could either have a shed like area in it or just sleeping boxes or a 'cupboard' for the shelter parts.

You can add extra shelter with what you put it in e.g. boxes/tunnels/low table etc. so I'd focus on a large, secure space that you can fit in. Something else to consider depending on your garden layout it to use a house wall as one side - that saves you cash! You can even arrange it so you walk out the backdoor into the aviary like a mesh conservatory :lol:

Thanks everyone.

That's awesome Catherine and definitely the kind of thing I would go for.

Thanks for the tips Tamsin, I have seen an aviary I liked the look of so will go back and revisit that idea. If I'm honest a shed would probably be more for my benefit from the weather, but I thought the rabbits might prefer to be able to look out.

Unfortunately the house we are moving to does not have a back door (a real pain) only a side one. I have seen those set up, where you can walk out into a covered aviary.

X

Back