• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Buns- re-establishing hierarchy? Normal?

Hey everyone :wave:

I'm new to the forum and just looking for a bit of advice/reassurance re: our new rabbits. The two girls (a pre-bonded pair) arrived on Sunday afternoon, and they're settling in great- eating loads, having fun exploring- we've even seen binkys from one of them already :love: but as of yesterday evening they've started 'fighting' between themselves- I say fighting, but really neither has hurt the other yet- they're just chasing each other a lot, nipping each others fur in a playful sort of way and humping! Lots and lots of humping! So far I've just let them get on with it, as I figured that they were just re-establishing who is boss now that they're in a new home, but I have to say that I do worry a bit that Natasha, who is a fairly sizeable lop might accidentally squash Pepper (a little Netherland dwarf) :shock:

So, what do you think- is this just a normal hierarchy test, and should I stay out of it? Or is there anything I could/should be doing?

We're hoping in time to bond them both with our existing (neutered) male who is a lonely boy since losing his one true love a couple of weeks ago :cry: So far they're housed in separate cages and haven't actually 'met' (aside from through the bars). I was planning to wait a couple of weeks before beginning introductions to give everyone chance to get used to each other and for the girls to settle in- but part of me was wondering if that means the girls will just establish who is the boss and then I'll throw an entirely new bunny into the mix and they'll have to start all over. What do you all think?

TIA!

I am assuming the girls are neutered? I think you are right and possibly the best way forward would be to put all 3 together and hope for the best. No-one knows which way is best all the time, rabbits are all different. Were the 2 girls together for long before? Is your male a confident type who can manage the girls :D

Hi, thanks for replying. The girls have been in rescue together for 10 months, although I don't know if they were bonded prior to that and rescued together or were put together in rescue, if you see what I mean? Our boy bun Loki is a fairly confident, but I have to say quite grumpy (!) chap. Looking at the three of them as individuals my money would be on Natasha ruling the roost- I just don't want little Pepper to get hurt/squashed/pushed out in the process, bless her!

The girls are still half-heartedly squabbling this morning, they've been chasing each other around the dining room and taking it in turns to hump each other which I've allowed as they're easily distracted by movement/noise/new smells so it never gets out of hand.

I'm considering accelerating my plan to introduce the three of them though. Most things I've read have suggested a fortnight of living side by side before gentle introductions, and it's only been four days but I''m wondering about having a go at the weekend and seeing what happens...

I think introducing the 3 will help to take the girls' minds off each other. Grumpy might cheer up with some lively females around! Good luck this weekend.

Back