• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need help on ring on buns leg

I have homed a buck 2 years+ old, he is a chunky bun, so is going to be getting limited pellets and mostly hay so he can get to a normal weight.

He has a ring on his rear leg, I would like to remove it as see no need for this at all. Are there any guides or tips on how to do this?

I also have no information on if he is vaccinated or not, would the vet be able to tell with a antibody test or is it safe to get him his shots anyway? He is also intact so am going to look to having him castrated soon too.

This aside he is eating/drinking and seems pretty content to be here

I have homed a buck 2 years+ old, he is a chunky bun, so is going to be getting limited pellets and mostly hay so he can get to a normal weight.

He has a ring on his rear leg, I would like to remove it as see no need for this at all. Are there any guides or tips on how to do this?

I also have no information on if he is vaccinated or not, would the vet be able to tell with a antibody test or is it safe to get him his shots anyway? He is also intact so am going to look to having him castrated soon too.

This aside he is eating/drinking and seems pretty content to be here
Not sure on the vax, but they might be able to clip the ring off his leg when he's neutered, if it's not causing him any real problems. Might be less stressful for him because he'll be under :)

Best to get the Ring cut off by a Vet as they can be very tough, the 2020 rings are exceptionally hard but I expect your Buck has a 2019 ring. It is possible to cut the rings using a jewellery cutter, but unless you know what you are doing it’s best to get the Vet to do it. It could be done when the Buck is under GA for castration assuming it is not currently too tight.

If his vaccination status is unknown he will need a Filavac /Eravac Vaccine first then a Nobivac Myxo RHD Plus vaccine 2 weeks later.Some Vets may still have a supply of the Nobivac Myxo RHD in stock ( it is soon to be discontinued ) so they may use that instead of the Nobivac Myxo RHD Plus. It would be fine, the Rabbit would still be fully covered for Myxo, RHD 1+ 2.He would then need the Myxo RHD Plus within 12 months of his Filavac /Eravac

sK2anoj.jpg

Congratulations on becoming a bunny parent. This forum has wonderful members and lots of great information. Please tell us more about your boy and good luck.

Last edited:
I adopted a girl years ago that had a ring on her leg. Vet wouldn't remove it as he said the risk of taking it off could break her leg. She had two ear operations and they wouldn't even do it under general anesthesia.

I wouldn't attempt it yourself it could be a disaster.

Odin (conti giant) came to us with a ring but it clearly bothered him, he'd chewed at it and worn it down. We were planning on having the vets remove it but over a few days we got him happy with us handling it until we were able to snip it off with metal snips. Hubby is a metalworker though so had the perfect small tools, and it was a well worn ring - I wouldn't advise trying if you don't have appropriate tools or the practice to do it quickly. I also wouldn't want to do it on anything smaller than a giant!

I adopted a girl years ago that had a ring on her leg. Vet wouldn't remove it as he said the risk of taking it off could break her leg. She had two ear operations and they wouldn't even do it under general anesthesia.

I wouldn't attempt it yourself it could be a disaster.

Surely not TVS :shock:

Lord no, way back to London days with Nancy bunny, must be at least 15 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back