• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My neighbour's rabbit - U/D post 12, page 2

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Not sure where to start really. My neighbour - and friend - has a beautiful male rabbit (possibly a Harlequin though am probably totally wrong) he's lop eared anyway and a lovely colour. The problem is his general condition. We're looking after him for the next week as she's on holiday and I've seem him before but it's only upon closer inspection that I've realised he, in my humble opinion, is in quite poor condition. His poos are miniscule - not too much bigger than pudding rice - other than the odd daily one which, to put it bluntly, must have hurt on the way out :shock:; I think it's a totally squashed together caecotroph (that is not spelled correctly for which I am sorry :oops:) but he doesn't eat it. He barely eats hay but does eat muesli though is a picky eater. He will eat cabbage. His fur seems quite fine but maybe that's the breed, but there's like dandruff in it which indicates his skin isn't the best. He's a lonely bunny so we gave him 2 cuddly toys today. He's not been neutered, never had any jabs and is not insured. I think it's his teeth. He is so thin that when you stroke him you can feel all his bones. He is active; he will run around the garden (never seen him eat grass but neighbour says he does) and he loves playing with footballs (thinks they're a lady bunny ... ;)) I think he may have a gut problem so am having to resist feeding him anything that might upset him further (can't afford a vet's bill for a rabbit that's not even mine!) as I gave him some readigrass the other day which he ate - but the next day he had runny poo :shock: so that went in the bin. I'd only given him a pinch of it as well.

Any ideas what I can give him to eat other than his muesli? He likes the green flat things (peas?) as he sorts them out first. I can't afford to upset his stomach though.

He's such a gorgeous, cute little rabbit it makes me quite upset - I had a disturbed night last night thinking about him, poor thing. My neighbour isn't being mean with him; she simply didn't do any research before getting him :( The upside is that he used to live outdoors but she's brought him indoors now, so he's a bit cosier at least. To be blunt, I don't think he would have survived the winter/cold as he's evidently not quite well.

*sighs* not much I can do I guess. I've told her about insurance and getting him to the vet and she said she will as I also told her about the rabbit awareness week in May and our local vet is taking part for free rabbit health checks. She's had him over a year so I guess another month won't make much difference - I just hope that once she's told what treatment he needs, she takes action.

Anyway, thanks for reading; just needed to get it off my chest as my husband's sick of me going on :lol:

Last edited:
I think you're doing all you can by advising her what to do.. f it was mean, I would have a tendency to go on a bit and leave large hints.. Perhaps printing off advice for her...

is he a good hay eater?..

the poor wee soul, sounds horrendous.... at least you are looking out for him...

fee xxx

I think you're doing all you can by advising her what to do.. f it was mean, I would have a tendency to go on a bit and leave large hints.. Perhaps printing off advice for her...

is he a good hay eater?..

the poor wee soul, sounds horrendous.... at least you are looking out for him...

fee xxx

No, he barely touches the stuff which is why I think he's got poorly teefs and why I gave him the readigrass as that seems easier to chew, from a non-rabbit non-hay eating person's point of view - but it upset his tummy which alarmed me!

I have given her verbal advice - which she thanked me for and I believe it was genuine thanks - and I've given her a couple of leaflets; in fact I had a Petplan book come through the post the other day and that had a piece in about house rabbits so I've ripped that out and will leave it for her to read. She said she'll get him insured when she comes back off her holiday as she has to have 4 weeks' grace before she can claim off it. The annoying thing is, I gave her an introduction voucher for Petplan back in February but she didn't do anything about it then; it's annoying because the grace period would have been up by now so she could just go to the vet before May ... grrrrr.

aww bless, you can't really do much more, short of kidnapping the bunny yourself...ALL THE BEST..

fee x

aww bless, you can't really do much more, short of kidnapping the bunny yourself...ALL THE BEST..

fee x

:lol: I did say that I'd take him off my friend if she didn't want him - not kidnap, I hasten to add though (but I knew you weren't being literal) but my hubby said, and I quote; "we have 2 rabbits, 2 fish, 1 bird and half a horse. We are NOT having another rabbit". *sulks* :lol:

(the "half a horse" is a loan pony we have recently taken on and we're loaning it with my friend so splitting the week between us and costs involved)

thanks for clarifying that, I did a double take when I read that!,!!,:lol:

Oh dear what a sad story...

I know in this case it sounds like it will definitely be cheaper but perhaps pushing for insurance is a step too far? Lots of people don't see the point in insuring bunnies so maybe she might be meeting resistance from family members so it might just be easier to get her to book a vet health check. (And not insured isn't always bad- my bunny isn't insured!)

Maybe just get her to take him to a vet, perhaps she needs to hear some advice from a professional, you know how some people take it in better that way. Roll on awareness week! Can you perhaps find the vet's number and help her book the appointment!

I think I know the kind of person she is, they mean no harm but they just can't see the error of their ways. :(

Could you try a couple of bramble leaves? They are tough, fibrous and flat - easy to pick up, available all year and shouldn't cause an adverse tummy reaction.

My last dental bunny would eat round flat things because they were the easiest things to manipulate in his very poorly mouth (molar spurs which eventually turned into bits of jaw bone missing on one side) but he maintained a good weight - FHB was amazed, considering how bad his jaw was. He used to help himself to various leaves in the front garden. It was also easier for him to eat directly from bushes as he didn't have to pick them up - just pull off the bush. He really struggled with hay as it fought back. Grass was OK - preferably long, leafy stuff.

If he usually has access to grass then I'd try that - cut it and stick it in the top of his bowl so he has to go through it for the tasty dry food. Most rabbits find grass more appealing than hay.

I would also weight him now and again in a week - if he's putting weight on great, if not you've got the numbers to share with your neighbour to back up your concern and suggest a vet trip.

Thanks everyone :wave:

Yes, she is definitely taking him to the vet in rabbit awareness week, so that's something at least. I only suggested insurance as I know that they can be expensive, particularly if it is dental and will become ongoing and she seemed to take on board my suggestion so perhaps she will get it - actually, just remembered, she was on about Tesco insurance I think, so it appears she is looking into it :thumb:

Fab idea on the bramble leaves! Thanks! I have some in my garden so I'll take them shortly.

And great idea about pulling some grass out the garden and putting in his food bowl :thumb: Thanks again :D

Poor bunny. I hope you're neighbour takes on board the advice you're giving her. Let us know how the bunny gets on at the vet.

Just an update really.

My neighbour took her bunny to the vet during RAW week and came to tell me that he had been given a clean bill of health and his teeth were fine.

I was very surprised at this because even I could see that he had dandruff, which rabbits are not supposed to get if they are in tip-top condition.

I asked her what the vet said about him not eating hay and the fact that his caecotrophs (I'm sorry; I don't think that is the correct spelling but not got time to check it) come out in massive sticky lumps which he does not eat and that his poops are really tiny, like grains of rice almost. Her reply was, and I quote; "oh I forgot about telling him that". Words fail me.

So the poor bunny is no better off now than he was before really, other than his teeth are okay. Apparently. But his poops are still obviously not right and neither is his diet, which is quite evident in his poo and his dandruff. She did say the vet told her to switch from muesli to pellet food as he is a fussy eater. I give in. Poor bunny.

:(

It's awful, isn't it, especially if she won't take your advice. Can you maybe try offering her a different type of hay saying something like 'oh, I got this new hay for my bunnies and they love it, here, try some!' as maybe that will encourage her bunny to eat more?

Other than that, I don't know what to say really. :(

:(

It's awful, isn't it, especially if she won't take your advice. Can you maybe try offering her a different type of hay saying something like 'oh, I got this new hay for my bunnies and they love it, here, try some!' as maybe that will encourage her bunny to eat more?

Other than that, I don't know what to say really. :(

I've tried the hay thing. I don't know why he won't eat the stuff to be honest, especially as the vet reckons his teeth are okay. I know some bunnies just don't eat it, end of. He does like grass though so hopefully she had been gathering that for him. I'm just really cross that she "forgot" to mention he doesn't eat hay and his poos are simply not right. *sighs* :?

Back