• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Bunny girls are going outside for 2 weeks - advice on hutch beddings & suggestions

chelle

Warren Veteran
My Bunny girls are going outside for 2 weeks - advice on hutch beddings & suggestions

Hi all!:wave:

Ok - so our buns are about 5 months old already!:shock: and have been indoors with us since we got them - intro them to their run on the grass and they love it - but it does get abit hot outside at the mo compared to indoors....

So we are going away for 2 weeks.....and they have to go outside! We have just bought a hutch that we could afford on ebay....well - its 2 hutchesand the ad said:

Two LazyBones LB314 HC Rabbit Hutches complete with covers have been joined at the the bottom section to provide one long 2.2mtr lower run with ramps going up to 2 separate upper sections each with a sleeping area.
In Excellent condition see photos, hardly used as rabbits moved indoors almost immediately
Total size of hutches fixed togeter is approx 230cm L x 120cm H x 60cm D

So - we will attach the bottom runs together too - but it will go around or past a tree that we have. Then we will attach a 6X4x2 run on the one side - which they will be able to have access to only with supervision - which will be everyday from our neighbour &/or my sister for a few hours.

Thoughts:
Thinking of useing aubiouse....theyve never had it - they do chew abit - this should be ok?
Want the cleaning of wee & poops for neighbour to be relatively easy.....so buns are comfy.

Bottom of the run: it may have a tray - if so lay aubiose down throughout?
No tray - just wood: Line it with lino. & aubiose?

Was thinking of also putting as big a box as i can for them as a litter tray & hang their hay rack above it for feeding.
Bowl & bottle for water

One top of hutches: -
Aubiose throughout OR
Sleeping area: stuff full of meadow hay?

Or can do above alternatively- aubiose in one of the top hutch areas throughout & hay in the other?

They may use the hay areas as a loo - should I put a litter tray here too in case?
Is hay warm enough for them at night or should I add straw? they have never seen straw before.....

The hutch does come with covers.
Should these be closed at night?
Or only if it rains?

Currently they sleep on carefresh, covered with newspaper & abit of hay.....
They do have a cat litter tray they use when out their cage - but indoors....

Im so nervouse about them being outside......we are picking up the hutches tomorrow...then hectic work to get it ready for wednesday night so they can try it out.....so worried no one will hear them if they scared etc.....

Will they be ok without seeing me & my OH everyday - for 2 weeks?
ooooh - I know no one can answer that - just worried about warmth, dryness, wetness, cleanliness - I check their bums alot - so worried about flies!

Anyone can suggest things to do / consider - would be grateful.:)

Is the odd night out ok for them to get them used to being outside?
Then outside for 2 full weeks?

thanks - dont want them to be too scared etc......:)

Hi guys - hope my above post is not too confusing.....:)

Any suggestions?
Maybe too many questions & abit confusing....:oops:

Is it ok to put them out for a night or few nights to get used to it?
Or once out - should they stay out till we go away - then whilst we away & then we can bring them in again when we are back......not sure about taking out & bringin in - know its not good - so wondered whats best way to do it?

Thanks again......:)

Hi all!:lol::lol::lol:

I know my thread is abit long and confusing....I was too late to edit it when I realised what I had written - it think it was late last night - tooo late!:oops:

Anyway - please do leave some comments...

Would you put them out for good until I go on hols? Its about 1 and half weeks to go now - poss 2 wks.

My OH says to put them out for 1 night - then bring them in & then out again - just so we know they are ok etc....I dont know whats best - ijust want them to sette & be ok whilst Im away.

Ideas on a tray in sleeping area with hay or just audbiouse or something else would be great....they do tend to chew things....just want to them to be warm at night & cool in the day......

BUmP!:oops::lol:

I just had to move mine outside and its awful - the worry I mean, don't want to scare you ;)!

I use Megazorb for mine, and I think Auboise (sp) is pretty much the same, I could be wrong. Megazorb is essentially crushed paper so it's ok if they chew it a bit.

For peace of mind, you could put them outside for a night or two to be sure they are ok :) the temperatures seem quite warm now so should be ok, as long as it's in double figures on a night they should be fine.

If the run is on grass, I would put them out on the grass for 15 minutes one day, and build it up slowly so they get used to it (unless they've been on grass before)

If you have problems with cats, foxes or other predators, I would shut them in the hutches at night, and make sure the hutch doors have bolts on - mine had little turny things (no idea what they are called :oops:) that a cat could easily undo. :wave:

Thanks Nicola!:)

Just the reassurance i needed.....!:)

Got their hutch tonight & will be sorting out tomorrow - am soooooo worried about them!:oops: - but thanks for the warning anyway!:oops::)
I think locking them in at night is a must for some peace of mind....they will down the garden abit so am worried I may not hear them thumping for me!:oops:
The hutch has little black sliding locks.... but will have another look tomorrow when its light!

I think I will get some of this aubiouse stuff....I dont have a megazorb supplier close by & need to get hutch sorted asap..... - thanks for that info.....:)

The hutch has plastic tray bottoms......so guess I should just lay the aubiose on that - maybe with some newspaper...

Its so scary putting them out - they only 5 months old.....they will probably love it once they get over being scared & wont want to comeback inside!:shock::)
Perhaps a few nights in a row is easier for them to settle in....:)

Thanks for replying to my rather silly concerned thread!:)

xxxx

Hiya :wave:
If I were you id move them outside as soon as you have their living space set up. That way you'll have a few days to solve any problems that might crop up and be there to comfort them through the change :) My thinking is, if you put them outside AND then they dont see you for 2 weeks, it might be abit too much stress in one go for them.
Are your neighbours able to check their bums to make sure they're clean? You could also hand fly catchers around their runs (make sure they cant get to them!) and apparantly citronella oil is supposed to be great at deterring flies aswell.
Just one more thing, have they been vaccinated?
Hope it all goes well for you :D
xxx

Hiya :wave:
If I were you id move them outside as soon as you have their living space set up. That way you'll have a few days to solve any problems that might crop up and be there to comfort them through the change :) My thinking is, if you put them outside AND then they dont see you for 2 weeks, it might be abit too much stress in one go for them. :) Yeah - Ive just cleaned the whole of the 2 hutches with hot water & vinigar to disinfect & have just hung out the 2 covers after washing them with hot soapy water!:) Everyone thinks Im being fussy - but its our new home for them even if it is second hand & Its gotta be clean! There were spiders in it! :shock: and wee stains!:shock: They will hopefully be out tomorrow night -as Ive got to organise a part of the garden where OH has allocated!:shock: Then its 1 week before we go - so may just leave them out - Im gonna miss them so much!:oops::(
Are your neighbours able to check their bums to make sure they're clean? My neighbour is goijg to feed & water each day - they have a bunny - and my hutch is near his but they wont be able to see each other. I am also going to attach my run to the hutch so they can be let out for a binky under supervision. My sister - bless her - is going to come almost everyday too to make sure my bunny-girls are ok & ensure my fussy care routine is being done!:lol::lol::lol:You could also hand fly catchers around their runs (make sure they cant get to them!) and apparantly citronella oil is supposed to be great at deterring flies aswell.oooh - goo idea - actually I just printed off a recipe for deterrig flies: here it is::shock:

Fly deterrant
Recipe for homemade fly deterrant
Ingredients:

250ml cold tea
250ml cider vinegar
10drops citronella
10drops lavendar

Add to a 1ltr bottle, shake it up and spray around the rabbit hutch. Flys hate it and it is totally harmless.

Not sdure if it will work - but ingredients sound about right - not sure how long the mix would last for.....:shock:

Just one more thing, have they been vaccinated?Yes - they have both had their myxi & VHD (lapinject) jabs.....the next big step is to be spayed!:shock::) Im glad you asked though - lots of folks dont seem to find the vacs necessary! :shock:
Hope it all goes well for you :D
xxx
thanks yo so much! Im getting excited for them wahoooooo! Im a-doing-a binky!:roll::lol:

Back