• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny eats rubber!

Petunia

New Kit
Hi there,

I have a girl bunny, Petunia. We only gpt her two months ago, and ever since she came in I have tried everything to entertain her, but she only wants to chew (and eat) rubber and plastic things. I have bought and made toys including boxes, tunels, toilet roll toys, newspaper digging box, phonebook, grass mats, willow balls and tunels, wooden balls and many other boredome brakers, but she only ever plays with them if she knows there are pellets hidden within the toys. As soon as she finds them all, she never looks at the toy again. Her weakness is rubber and plastic, within seconds she will grab (and run with it) anything that is plastic or rubber and has been left unattended. She has eaten the remote buttons and even when I am wearing my shoes around her, she tries to nibble on the soles. Anything that gets dropped on the floor she eats. Obviously I don't let her play or eat anything rubber, I known it is dangerous, but she seems really bored and digs the carpet (btw she did not touch that same carpet when I gave her offcuts in digging box, but loves it in my livingroom). I would really like to keep her busy and entertained, but also want her to be safe! Please help!!

Has she got a litter tray with hay in it? This keeps them busy and when they aren't chewing their hay they just lie in it. How old is she?

Does she have lots of hay to munch? Enough exercise? Enough space?

Has she been spayed?

She might like some tasty twigs to nibble on - mine love fresh or dried hawthorn, willow, ash, beech, hazel, rowan, and especially apple and pear. Chewing off the bark keeps them busy for a while.

It seems like my answer to everything recently is "spay/neuter!" and/or "forage!" :lol:

Thanks for answering. She is spayed, lives indoors and has had cage in the kitchen (always open) with 24/7 access to run around there the plus livingroom when we are around. I do give her twigs a lot, she likes them, but like you said only keeps her busy for a while :) other than that she is one rubber obsessed bunny!!

She has hay always in the litter tray and hey rack next to it. She eats at least twice her own size every day. It just doesn't seem like I'm doing enough, but really tried a lot!! She is only seven months old.

Maybe she got into this habit at her previous home. In which case it will take some time for her to stop doing it. Good luck!

I have a chewer too! Berties snack of choice at the moment (when he is t chewing his hutch) is eating the lino I lined the floor with. He must be swallowing it as I haven't found any shredded bits. He has eaten loads!! It can't be good for him at all

Our girlie bun also loved to eat rubber, our solution was keep anything rubbery out of the way. Keep remote controls face down and don't leave shoes lying where they can be accessed.
She had lots of toys but didn't have much interest in anything not edible (...well non edible rabbit toys anyway). She did like her treat ball, we started with one with stick out carrots all over it... she ate all the stick out bits. So we got her this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIXIE-RA...262453?hash=item20c7d02cf5:g:DzoAAOSwiCRUfyFq its smooth so they can't get a grip but still fun to chase around and get treats.

Have you thought about getting her a friend? Might lessen the innappropriate nibbling as they spend lots of time grooming each other and snuggled up.

Last edited:
I'll try getting her this ball. A friend isn't really an option just now, we don't have enough space, but if she doesn't get better we might think about it. Btw, she has learned how to turn the remote right way up and how to jump into the coffee table drawer where it is kept:):) she is one clever girl!! We do keep things out, but having a 6 year old boy is quite a challenge :) he constantly brings his toys downstairs. Thanks for advice!!

Back