• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More bunnies

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
I said no.

So a friend of mine said they have just got 10 rabbits for me and I said no I can't take them on. He is now being shirty with me because his stuck with them and wants to dump them so I said I can't take them but I might be able to find a place that might take them... I have no idea where they could be taken too. I don't really want him dumping them. Where would I begin?

Contacting the RSPCA also keeps you in the good books and shows you are being responsible. It may also sort out why there are so many rabbits being dumped, and put a stop to these incidents if they can get to the bottom of it. No-one else is really in a position to do that.

I would also be wondering why your mate is suddenly finding so many rabbits. Does he have some ideas of where they are coming from? And why hasn't he reported it? Give him the details of your contact at the RSPCA so they can arrange a handover.

I will try them in a bit. Unfortunately the problem with people dumping rabbits isn't going to go away because people buy rabbits not knowing much about them and not realizing how easily they breed. With there not being many rabbit savvy vets around to castrate rabbits... people give up which leads to more rabbits getting dumped, this also makes it very hard to sell rabbits. You can't even give them away. In Australia I believe rabbits have been banned. The problem is here in the UK there is no control, no regulations or any support system for rabbits. The problem will get worse.

RSPCA centers are at full capacity and have a waiting list of rabbits needing to come into there care. I will have refuse to intervene which stresses me to think it might be a hopeless case and at the same time the thought of him dumping them disturbs me but there isn't really anything I can do about it.

There were a nice bunch of rabbits dumped at one of the city farms a while ago.

Its a sad state of affairs.

I will try them in a bit. Unfortunately the problem with people dumping rabbits isn't going to go away because people buy rabbits not knowing much about them and not realizing how easily they breed. With there not being many rabbit savvy vets around to castrate rabbits... people give up which leads to more rabbits getting dumped, this also makes it very hard to sell rabbits. You can't even give them away. In Australia I believe rabbits have been banned. The problem is here in the UK there is no control, no regulations or any support system for rabbits. The problem will get worse.

You have the chance to play a small part in sorting out the problem - by reporting it to the RSPCA. You are better placed than some, as you already have a contact.

10 rabbits? Oh gosh, I'd definitely recommend the RSPCA to figure out where they came from, especially if he's talking about dumping them.

Do not let anyone pressure you to take these bunnies. I would not even take the two males my sister’s grandchildren got during Covid because they were not neutered and they attacked and bit each other and my sister, who keep them for months before surrendering them.
You do not have the space or funds that give them proper care.

Last edited:
I can't believe a friend would expect you to take on another 10 rabbits after the other 4, especially if they know how much work & expense those are already causing. Wherever they are being found needs investigating and sorting out. The RSPCA are best placed to do that, offer advice, neutering, rehoming, etc for whoever has the parent bunnies. This won't be the last lot that your friend finds.

I told my friend to stop finding rabbits for me to take because I rescued those others, people now seem to think they can dump there bunnies on me. My friend thought he was doing me a favor but doesn't realize rabbits fight and I don't have the space or funds to care for there needs. The other babies I rescued are chomping through my hay like there is no tomorrow so anymore and I would start to struggle with hay supplies. Apparently he is going to sell them now on facebook.:shock:

Is there anyway I could build a rabbit charity non profitable to help rabbits get spayed and neutered and vaccinated from donations from the public? If I could get funding to get a premises I could set up a rabbit rescue...

Would this be possible or am I dreaming?

How would I set up a charity?

I would get in touch with a local charity and ask how you can help them. They may appreciate some help with specific fund raising, but ask what would help them most. It would also give you an idea of what it takes to run a charity.

Is there anyway I could build a rabbit charity non profitable to help rabbits get spayed and neutered and vaccinated from donations from the public? If I could get funding to get a premises I could set up a rabbit rescue...

Would this be possible or am I dreaming?

How would I set up a charity?
I think you'd need a lot of money to get it started, I've looked into it myself before but concluded I didn't have enough to do as many neuterings and vax as I'd like. I did the math and it was only a few hundred and rehoming fees wouldn't cover it all and I just couldn't see how I could make it work long term tbh. Plus time commitment from me.. And now space as the house I've bought isn't huge. I think in the future if I can find a rescue I don't hate I'd offer to foster, finding one that isnt run by a certain type of person though is tricky [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] I just donate now for neuter and vax I figure I'd probably get into a pickle running a charity anyway [emoji38] I'd love to be more involved though but I just don't think it's an environment I like.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I would get in touch with a local charity and ask how you can help them. They may appreciate some help with specific fund raising, but ask what would help them most. It would also give you an idea of what it takes to run a charity.

Ditto

It takes a lot of time, knowledge, space and funds plus good back up from an already established reputable Rescue to set one up.

Obtaining Charitable status is far from easy

By starting a Rescue one has to do so on the assumption that one funds it themselves. Donations cannot be expected or relied upon.

Premises need to be of high standards, local council approval is usually needed. Third part insurance is essential.

I have known of too many very well meaning people who decide to start a Rescue but very quickly realise they have bitten off more than they can chew. They end up with numerous Rabbits that they cannot afford to provide basic care for and sadly this means the person becomes part of the Rabbit Welfare problem rather than part of the solution. Not because they are ‘bad’ people, just that the had no idea what running a Rescue really involves.

I figured there would be something that would make it hard to impossible to do. I could dream about it tho...... I would create an indoor forest inside a building with a glass roof for plenty of light so the trees could grow and it would look amazing a bit like the palm house at Kew Gardens but a woodland looking type of layout instead and all the bunnies in there would be spayed, neutered and vaccinated. People from all over the world would come to see the bunnies and make donations. I would have volunteer vets on hand and there will be other rooms where bunnies would be waiting for re-homing, not all bunnies will live in the indoor forest. I could create some amazing things given half the chance.

Back