• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

May have to rehome my baby Luna :'( please help

jazxo

Mama Doe
It's a long story so hang in there...

Pippin is my original bunny, she's 2. She was bonded to Pumpkin and they adored each other. He sadly passed away very soon after they bonded :(

A couple of months later, Luna came along. He was 3-5 weeks old when he came into rescue and I got him at 5/6 weeks and got him bonded with Pippin. He was unneutered but all he wanted was love and companionship so we thought it'd be okay to bond then get him done when he was ready. He loved Pippin from day 1 but she nipped him and chased him because he wouldn't groom her. He never retaliated, just ran away. When it came to the time for him to be neutered, he was and nothing changed. I adore this rabbit so wanted to give him a chance and I hoped and hoped that the bond would improve.

It didn't. I was then thinking I may have to rehome him but obviously kept avoiding making decisions.

Then Frank came along. I saved Frank from euthanasia at the vets I work at. He needed a leg amputation so I paid for that and adopted him. He reminded me of Pumpkin (except more cheeky and very boisterous). He was my last chance to fix things with Pippin and Luna.

When introduced they all got on for the first 2 weeks. Frank groomed both of them and I'd regularly see big bunny pile ups of them all cuddled up.

It's gradually got worse. Pippin chases and nips Luna and then Frank gets worked up and joins in! Although, Frank grooms Luna sometimes. It's always Luna left out though because Pippin and Frank get on well.

Luna is still eating well, still looks relaxed when Pippin isn't being nasty and is a beautiful happy boy.

I have very limited options. I adore Luna, we've formed such a close bond through this, he even comes to his name. He's only 6 months old and he's still diddy.

I do not have room for two pairs, that's absolutely not an option.

I can't keep Luna as a single, don't have space and he deserves a friend.

I don't want to rehome him. The thought of it makes me feel physically sick and I'd never forgive myself.

I have a lot of anxiety issues, the rabbits included. The thought of someone else looking after Luna makes me feel so awful. I know exactly what he likes to eat, can see when he's happy or stressed etc, he's got excess cecal issues so I have him on a very particular diet, I wouldn't want him bonded with the wrong rabbit, they'd have to love each other.

Someone please help :(

Last edited:
Oh no :cry: wonder if it would be worth them going away for rebonding as a trio, to see if it would cement things? In the meantime while they were away you could neutralise their area and maybe reduce their space? Not sure if there's any rescue nearby who would do it for you? I'm just thinking they may behave better in a strange place and then become better friends.

If that doesn't work, you obviously love Luna and want what's best for him, I wonder if another RU member would take him on, if he went locally you could visit him etc.

Must be so difficult, sending hugs xx

Thanks Zoobec.

They were bonded at a rescue/boarding service. I neutralised everything and kept them in an indoor cage for absolutely ages. They still don't have the whole of their space.

Do you think it'd be worth a re-bond there?

Just don't want to waste more time for poor Luna.

In regards to a fourth bunny - I've considered that but imagine if I'm left with 4 single buns? Id be screwed!

Thanks Zoobec.

They were bonded at a rescue/boarding service. I neutralised everything and kept them in an indoor cage for absolutely ages. They still don't have the whole of their space.

Do you think it'd be worth a re-bond there?

Just don't want to waste more time for poor Luna.

I think it would be worth a try given the circumstances, and how much you love him :thumb: how about talking to the bonding/boarding place to take their advice?

I think it would be worth a try given the circumstances, and how much you love him :thumb: how about talking to the bonding/boarding place to take their advice?

I have asked her (lady that bonds them) what she thinks and am awaiting a reply. It'll break my heart to let him go as I know I can give him such a good home with me (if I do say so myself :lol:)

Thanks for your replies x

Back