• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making play area interesting without grass

rabbitpig

Young Bun
Hello, I have recently made my back yard area secure so that I can let the buns out there when I am around to watch them. Previously I have always let them out in our front garden where there is grass but it means carrying them through the house to get them to the garden and having to catch them again when you need them to go back in (they suddenly go from being lovely lap pets to not coming within 10ft of you when they suspect you might be thinking about putting them back in their house!)so isn't very practical especially now we aren't out in the garden as much now its winter.

We have put a more rabbit proof fence round the back and covered the mud that was supposed to be grass with tree surgeons chips (my husband is a tree surgeon and we have been saving up all the safe branches to chip especially so I know there are no toxic woods in the chips by the way!) so that the ground stays a bit less boggy for them but I think they will be bored with nothing to eat out there. I have been letting them out t feeding time everyday and sprinkling the pellets that they get and some chopped up veg on the ground so they get a sort of grazing experience while they are out but i'm worried its not that interesting for them without grass. Has anyone got any ideas for how I could make it more fun? I was thinking about digging some pipes into the ground for them to hide in but I don't know where I could get short bits of pipe that wont cost a fortune?

Back