• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for Rabbit Sitter who can give injection meds (London)

dex179

Warren Scout
Hi All

I have a 9.5 year old mini lop who has to be given a daily injection of Depocillin to keep his tooth abscess at bay. I have been doing this daily since Feb 2020 which means I haven't been able to go away on holiday since then :(

I was wondering anyone knew of someone who can provide a rabbit sitting service and can also administer a daily injection for his medicine?

I am looking for someone in and around the London area

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Dex179

Hi All

I have a 9.5 year old mini lop who has to be given a daily injection of Depocillin to keep his tooth abscess at bay. I have been doing this daily since Feb 2020 which means I haven't been able to go away on holiday since then :(

I was wondering anyone knew of someone who can provide a rabbit sitting service and can also administer a daily injection for his medicine?

Thank you
Dex179

When you say rabbit sitting, would you want the person to live in your house while you are away? Sorry I don't live close enough to you, but have you considered asking at your vet surgery? It's possible that the vet nurses would be prepared to do this, or might in fact know of someone.

Hi All

Thank you
Dex179
I had this recently when I went away figured something out but getting someone to inject your rabbit is tough tbh coz loads of people don't have the insurance.

What part of London?

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Hi

I am happy to send him to someone's house to board rather than someone come to my house to sit the rabbit. This is what I previously did before my rabbit had the injections

I have tried my vets Medivet - they sent a mass email to their branches, no reply as of yet

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks
Khoi

I had this recently when I went away figured something out but getting someone to inject your rabbit is tough tbh coz loads of people don't have the insurance.

What part of London?

Yes it's the injections part that puts people off, which is fair I guess

I'm in North London, but can drive and drop off in and around London

What part of London?

Dez I will IM you

Hi Grace- do you mean most boarding establishments aren’t insured?

Or aren’t covered for injections? I’m interested in what you mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's the injections part that puts people off, which is fair I guess

I'm in North London, but can drive and drop off in and around London
I'm in east London/Essex if I didn't have a lot on atm I'd offer to do it sorry.

My suggestion is you ask a local vet if they can do it, that's what I did, set up an appointment right at the end of their day every other day (of whenever he has it, my bun has steroid injection every other day). But you'd need someone to take him to the appointment ofc. It's not easy is it!

Dez I will IM you

Hi Grace- do you mean most boarding establishments aren’t insured?

Or aren’t covered for injections? I’m interested in what you mean.

Hey I mean insurance which covers them to do injections. Most boarding places insurance doesn't cover for that so they won't do it.

Have you tried asking around in the area you are going to, or somewhere you pass through on the way? If you usually board your rabbits, then the location doesn't have to be near home, as long as it's accessible.

Hey I mean insurance which covers them to do injections. Most boarding places insurance doesn't cover for that so they won't do it.

I had no idea that was the case! Thanks for letting me know x

I had no idea that was the case! Thanks for letting me know x

Yea bit of a pain tbh! I'm lucky there's a vets literally a 2 minute walk from me tbh and my mum who looked after them just walked him round there every other evening for his jab. I'd definitely help out if I can if anyone needs it, coz it's a tough situation, altho I'm not like a professional ofc.

I just don't have any space atm for housing anyone at mine, with building work happening for extra buns. In the future I'd have space tho for the odd boarding situation if needed [emoji38] x

Extra buns!! I thought you weren’t planning on getting anymore?! How many more do you want?

Last edited:
Extra buns!! I thought you weren’t planning on getting anymore?! How many more do you want.

I’ve boarded a few recently and I’m insured, but none with ailments yet. I’ve stopped now though, as so much going on with my mum

I mean boarding buns! [emoji38] I have 3 atm, and don't really want anymore, but I won't leave Willoughby alone long term so have to see with him. I just don't know how much longer I'll have Atticus tbh.

Yea that makes sense

‘’Under Schedule 3 ( of the Veterinary Services Act) you (A VET) can only delegate medical treatment and minor surgery (not involving entry into a body cavity) to RVNs and SVNs, not to lay people’’.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-sta...hedule 3 to the,employed in the same practice.
Sorry I meant to say, you can get insurance to cover it. But standardly it's not covered. I haven't dug into it super deep tho, maybe it's only if you are a vn!

I haven't started injecting animals randomly [emoji38] just something I'm thinking about like cover for buns thay might be ill. Obviously that may not be appropriate. It's a nice idea tho, coz currently options are limited.

I wonder how that works then for oral meds, coz they'll all do that!

Last edited:
Sorry I meant to say, you can get insurance to cover it. But standardly it's not covered. I haven't dug into it super deep tho, maybe it's only if you are a vn!

I haven't started injecting animals randomly [emoji38] just something I'm thinking about like cover for buns thay might be ill. Obviously that may not be appropriate. It's a nice idea tho, coz currently options are limited.

I wonder how that works then for oral meds, coz they'll all do that!

More info here

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-sta...d-persons/?&&type=rfst&set=true#cookie-widget

Back