• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lola is losing the use of back legs :(

You guys have been so helpful, I'm so grateful! I bought a heat pad for her a couple of weeks ago incase we needed it down the line, and today is the first day we have used it. Although in a warm (not too warm though :lol:) house, her ears felt really cold, I know this isn't a sign that inside she is cold, but its pretty unusual for her not to have even lukewarm ears when inside! I bought a thermometer to take her internal temp (I've been shown how to do this) but it gives a vastly different reading every time???? (i.e. checking her temp three times in a row), so I don't use it anymore because i don't think it works :S
I'm also thinking maybe to get some puppy training mat type things because then the area is easier to keep fresh and maintain for her (and us!!), don't really know where is best to get them though, any ideas? :)

You guys have been so helpful, I'm so grateful! I bought a heat pad for her a couple of weeks ago incase we needed it down the line, and today is the first day we have used it. Although in a warm (not too warm though :lol:) house, her ears felt really cold, I know this isn't a sign that inside she is cold, but its pretty unusual for her not to have even lukewarm ears when inside! I bought a thermometer to take her internal temp (I've been shown how to do this) but it gives a vastly different reading every time???? (i.e. checking her temp three times in a row), so I don't use it anymore because i don't think it works :S
I'm also thinking maybe to get some puppy training mat type things because then the area is easier to keep fresh and maintain for her (and us!!), don't really know where is best to get them though, any ideas? :)

I'm glad you're coping OK at the moment. You're doing a really great job. She's a lucky little monkey :D

Have you looked on Amazon for the puppy training stuff? I got something like that from the pound shop a while ago ..
Yes, it sounds like you should get the thermometer replaced, or checked.

I hope you all have a comfortable night :D

I know she will let you know. You obviously have a very, very close bond and I dont doubt for one second that any decisions you make will be made with Lola's best interests as a priority. I would try to take things one day at a time. Lola is happy within herself at the moment and blissfully unaware that she has a terminal illness. As long as she feels OK as far as she is concerned she is OK.

If the litter tray is a bit much for her now you could use one of these instead

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compact-P...426129?hash=item2109911e11:g:kfcAAOSwFqJWsfPe[/QUOTE]

Another vote from me! However, that price is extortionate :roll: I bought 4 from Dobbies at £9.99 each (they are large ones).

My elderly rabbit, Rosie:love: also had mobility problems - it is heartbreaking, I know :cry:

You are doing the best you possibly can :)

I'm glad you're coping OK at the moment. You're doing a really great job. She's a lucky little monkey :D

Have you looked on Amazon for the puppy training stuff? I got something like that from the pound shop a while ago ..
Yes, it sounds like you should get the thermometer replaced, or checked.

I hope you all have a comfortable night :D

Thank you :) she is also a stubborn little monkey!

I haven't looked yet, might ask the bf to look in Wilkos or somewhere on the way home! I hardly slept last night, I slept next to her in a makeshift bed. I wanted to wake when she moved. I actually need some advice. She really wants to use the litter tray still, and when she tries to get there she can never get there in time, but she still wants to use it.When I put her in it she hops straight out sometimes and won't use it if she is put straight in it (she likes to get in it herself I think). Sometimes instead of putting her in it, I've held her over it while she goes for a wee. The other week I picked her up (not to put her in the litter tray) and she went for a wee, and I realised my hand was putting a bit of pressure on her bladder, and since then a couple of times putting my hand flat across her bladder and applying gentle pressure has helped her go for a wee, because half the time she will go but not empty her bladder i think because a couple of minutes later she tries to go again. Do you guys think its ok if I keep helping her by expressing her bladder (I only have helped when she has already shown she needs to go by attempting to get into the litter tray). If she ever feels uncomfortable I obviously wouldn't do it! I don't know if its bad to do it or if it is just a helping hand. Advice greatly appreciated!

With regards to thermometer, Im going to email where I bought it from (VioVet website - never bought from here before so not sure of their reputation) and explain the problems in having with it

also recently Lolas poos most of them are like the cecotrophes but the mucus lining bit is all detached and comes out with it but is all stringy and strange. Its dark in colour (I guess because its covered in her poo lol). She has been doing some normal poos but not in the last 12 hours. Vet said he would rather keep her on metaclopramide and keep things moving even if this does mean some wet poos, rather than have things stop moving!

Another vote from me! However, that price is extortionate :roll: I bought 4 from Dobbies at £9.99 each (they are large ones).

My elderly rabbit, Rosie:love: also had mobility problems - it is heartbreaking, I know :cry:

You are doing the best you possibly can :)

I actually ended up buying the same one for £11.99. Expensive but not too bad, I just needed it asap, don't really have a chance to shop around/get out the house much unfortunately :(. But thanks! What a lovely name Rosie is :love:. I know, it is so sad to watch them want to play and move but not be able to. Thanks for the lovely comments xxxx

- update. Following the advice from the vets, I stopped Lolas metacam (24 hours ago) as he thought it was the metacam probably causing her excessive drinking/weeing (and dilute urine) and causing kidney function problems. However she seemed to go down hill over night and this morning she was looking and feeling so sorry for herself, all depressed and lying flat down (although still fighting me when trying to syringe her medicine - I like that she still does this though!! lol), and shaking :cry:. Called the vet and he advised to put her back on the metacam and see if there is an improvement (to indicate it was a pain problem and not something else), because he said we can't really up her tramadol anymore (although another vet said this was a medium dose for her, she is on 1x25mg tramadol tablet every 12 hours, so 2 tablets per day). He said her comfort is more important than a negative effect on her kidneys right now. Her past 2 weeks have been more concentrated, although he said her kidney function wouldn't improve but he didn't want it to deteriorate further, so I don't know what this means.

Anyway she had a dose of metacam an hour ago and has perked right up, and also destroyed a towel, thanks Lola :lol: Also I thinker ears are cold because her circulation is poor, because when I give them a little stroke/rub for a minute or two they warm right up, but get cold again quickly, which is unusual for her. I don't think her body temp is cold though, she had the heat pad last night as it was still slightly warm, but when I got up to check, she actually felt very warm so I moved it.

Is there anything I can be doing to help her kidney function, I know the metacam will make it worse, but I don't see what else I can do :( I've read somewhere that the pellets can be bad or something because they are high in calcium which is bad for her kidneys?? Is this correct/relevant here? (If anyone knows :) )

She has a bigger box now, seems to like it better. She can't make it to the litter tray anymore, so keeps weeing in the bed, I'm trying to manage it the best I can. Poor baby! Xxxx

Last edited:
Quick question - should bunnies empty their bladder when they go for a wee? Lola seems to only do small wees. She will go for a small one, then a few minutes later go again. I think maybe she can't get in the right position to wee properly, but should they empty their bladder when they need a wee? Thanks

Quick question - should bunnies empty their bladder when they go for a wee? Lola seems to only do small wees. She will go for a small one, then a few minutes later go again. I think maybe she can't get in the right position to wee properly, but should they empty their bladder when they need a wee? Thanks

Yes, generally they should. Rabbits with any hind leg weakness may not do so. This can lead to a build up of sludge in the bladder. The sludge being due to a build up of calcium deposits which a Rabbit would normally excrete in their urine. The sludge, in turn, can lead to cystitis/bladder infections.

Personally I would want a Vet to check Lola's bladder. The Vet may be able to manually express it and also make sure there are no signs of bladder sludge/infection already present.

The Vet could show you how to express Lola's bladder as it is something that may need to be done regularly now. It is important to know how to do it correctly as the bladder is extremely delicate and incorrect palpation can damage it.

My vet told me that stress can cause a bunny's temp to increase.
When my bunny started having trouble with her litter box, I cut down two of the sides cardboard boxes and used that as a disposable liter box.

Thank you :) she is also a stubborn little monkey!

I haven't looked yet, might ask the bf to look in Wilkos or somewhere on the way home! I hardly slept last night, I slept next to her in a makeshift bed. I wanted to wake when she moved. I actually need some advice. She really wants to use the litter tray still, and when she tries to get there she can never get there in time, but she still wants to use it.When I put her in it she hops straight out sometimes and won't use it if she is put straight in it (she likes to get in it herself I think). Sometimes instead of putting her in it, I've held her over it while she goes for a wee. The other week I picked her up (not to put her in the litter tray) and she went for a wee, and I realised my hand was putting a bit of pressure on her bladder, and since then a couple of times putting my hand flat across her bladder and applying gentle pressure has helped her go for a wee, because half the time she will go but not empty her bladder i think because a couple of minutes later she tries to go again. Do you guys think its ok if I keep helping her by expressing her bladder (I only have helped when she has already shown she needs to go by attempting to get into the litter tray). If she ever feels uncomfortable I obviously wouldn't do it! I don't know if its bad to do it or if it is just a helping hand. Advice greatly appreciated!

With regards to thermometer, Im going to email where I bought it from (VioVet website - never bought from here before so not sure of their reputation) and explain the problems in having with it

also recently Lolas poos most of them are like the cecotrophes but the mucus lining bit is all detached and comes out with it but is all stringy and strange. Its dark in colour (I guess because its covered in her poo lol). She has been doing some normal poos but not in the last 12 hours. Vet said he would rather keep her on metaclopramide and keep things moving even if this does mean some wet poos, rather than have things stop moving!

I actually ended up buying the same one for £11.99. Expensive but not too bad, I just needed it asap, don't really have a chance to shop around/get out the house much unfortunately :(. But thanks! What a lovely name Rosie is :love:. I know, it is so sad to watch them want to play and move but not be able to. Thanks for the lovely comments xxxx

- update. Following the advice from the vets, I stopped Lolas metacam (24 hours ago) as he thought it was the metacam probably causing her excessive drinking/weeing (and dilute urine) and causing kidney function problems. However she seemed to go down hill over night and this morning she was looking and feeling so sorry for herself, all depressed and lying flat down (although still fighting me when trying to syringe her medicine - I like that she still does this though!! lol), and shaking :cry:. Called the vet and he advised to put her back on the metacam and see if there is an improvement (to indicate it was a pain problem and not something else), because he said we can't really up her tramadol anymore (although another vet said this was a medium dose for her, she is on 1x25mg tramadol tablet every 12 hours, so 2 tablets per day). He said her comfort is more important than a negative effect on her kidneys right now. Her past 2 weeks have been more concentrated, although he said her kidney function wouldn't improve but he didn't want it to deteriorate further, so I don't know what this means.

Anyway she had a dose of metacam an hour ago and has perked right up, and also destroyed a towel, thanks Lola :lol: Also I thinker ears are cold because her circulation is poor, because when I give them a little stroke/rub for a minute or two they warm right up, but get cold again quickly, which is unusual for her. I don't think her body temp is cold though, she had the heat pad last night as it was still slightly warm, but when I got up to check, she actually felt very warm so I moved it.

Is there anything I can be doing to help her kidney function, I know the metacam will make it worse, but I don't see what else I can do :( I've read somewhere that the pellets can be bad or something because they are high in calcium which is bad for her kidneys?? Is this correct/relevant here? (If anyone knows :) )

She has a bigger box now, seems to like it better. She can't make it to the litter tray anymore, so keeps weeing in the bed, I'm trying to manage it the best I can. Poor baby! Xxxx

What a dilemma with the pain relief and kidney function .. However, it may not be the metacam affecting her kidneys. In older rabbits, they wee less because it's uncomfortable sometimes to express their bladder. I've had cases like you've had, where I've expressed their bladder without meaning to :shock: However, my vet kindly showed me (many times!) how to express a rabbit's bladder, and that's much better for them, especially when old or with hind leg weakness.

If urine is retained in the bladder for whatever reason, infection can set up and cause something akin to our cystitis. That can be uncomfortable and cause less emptying of the bladder. Your vet could test for that with a urine sample. Also, sludge collecting in the bladder and not emptying is also a cause of an irritated bladder, so drinking is good, if you can learn to express the bladder properly :D

So far as food goes - and the pain relief - I'm of a mind that quality of life is better than quantity, and if either of those are essential to her well being or weight, then I wouldn't worry about cutting them down unduly at this stage. That's just my opinion mind :D

Back