• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leo - not sure what’s wrong. U/D 8pm

Sorry that Leo has to have some dental work, but really good that you spotted his discomfort Craig, you are so attuned to your bunnies. Glad he's eating now bless him, Treacle sends a gentle nose bump xx

Just got back from vet. Bit later than we hoped - they were running late.
Lesson number 1 - I’ve said it to many other posts - ALWAYS trust your gut. We live and know our bunnies and any slight shift in behaviour no matter how small, is a sign.
I explained everything to the vet - and they took Leo for examination. 10 minutes later - and everyone who said “dental” - have a sweetie. You were bang on. In fact they are pretty doozies too. She said he has some very sore areas at the back of his mouth and that he’ll need a bit of dental surgery. Obviously not an option at 7pm on a Friday but he’s booked in for 9am Tuesday. This was the earliest they could fit him in. They gave Leo a pain relief med and we’ve got metacam to give over weekend. But the minute we got him home, he belted out of his carrier and stuck his head straight into the pellets and greens. Nomming away now like a good un.
Obviously I’d prefer the dental to be done sooner but that’s not possible but the pain management will help. He’s a different rabbit in the space of an hour. He’s insured but they have excluded dental treatment as he has had spurs before we got him - and he’s a lion head.
I’m pleased so pleased that I went with my gut and I knew something wasn’t right with Leo. But I’m sad that he has to have some minor dental work. But he’ll be put right and will be back to his normal self by midweek.
Thank you for all your advice and guidance.
Craig.xx

awesome news - in the sense that you now know what the issue is, and superbly well done by you for spotting there was an issue in the first place.
i hope the dental goes well next week :love:

Aw, poor Leo. :( I'm glad he's got a date scheduled, it is a pity it can't be sooner but metacam does wondrous things. Vibes for him that he continues to do well and comes through his dental with flying colors. How lucky he and Flo are that you can spot these things so quickly. :thumb:

I do get frustrated by how appointments are hard to set up with vets these days, but not much can be done. I wish we could just Facetime with them for the more difficult (emotional) cases, like my Jenna, who hates being there in the first place, much less having to wait for the necessary attention to her issues. Gotta admit, they'd have a time with me taking her temperature in their absence though. :shock: Some things are just better left to the professionals. :lol:

I hope the dental goes well. Once he has had his dental if you can get him eating hay it will help keep his teeth worn down correctly. Lots of hay companies will send out samples and if you can find a couple that he likes it would be good. Topping up the vibes xx

I hope the dental goes well. Once he has had his dental if you can get him eating hay it will help keep his teeth worn down correctly. Lots of hay companies will send out samples and if you can find a couple that he likes it would be good. Topping up the vibes xx

I second this.

I'm sorry Leo is having dental troubles, and that he has to wait a couple of days to get them taken care of. I hope everything will go well on Tuesday and that he'll soon be back to eating everything like normal. Lots of vibes for him.

I agree!

Back