• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Large excess ceacs

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
Lola goes through phases of leaving excess ceacs, and I strip her diet back to just hay and pellets and maybe a fenugreek crunchie for a couple of days until she is no longer leaving them.

This week she has been leaving big ones, Monday was the size of a small apricot, and very soft and squishy (I used to have a 9 year old girl who did much more solid ones than this). Tuesday was half the size and Wednesday half the size again. Last night I gave her about an inch of carrot as she was pretty much back to normal and this morning she has just done a bigger one again and it is quite "loose and squishy" Sunday night she had carrot peelings, so I am wondering if she is more sensitive to the sugars than other buns and this is what is the catalyst for it happening. She is always doing them at the same time of day, 10.30am ish! Also I know she is still producing normal ones too as I have witnessed her eating them, and seen the occasional accidentally dropped one. She is acting perfectly normal otherwise. My buns have a routine that runs like clockwork, so this helps me spot if anything is off (and also causes me unnecessary panic when they do decide to do things in a different order occasionally!)

She has a choice of three different hays everyday,

Hay4Pets - Timothy and Rye
TimothyHay.co.uk - Timothy
Morrisons - Cheapy meadow

A daily fenugreek crunchie, a pinch of a dried dandelion mix from Morrisons (could these be culprits?)
A small amount of SS pellets morning and night
Spring greens (but none the past couple of weeks)
Small amount of kale (but none this past week while her tummy was off)
Small chunk of carrot every 4/5 ish days (this past week only the nights before she left the bigger ceacs so Sun & weds night)
In summer a small amount of grass and occasional fresh dandelion leaf.

Is there anything in there that may need adjusting?? I know some leaves may be beneficial to her, but am not confident of picking the right things myself. I saw Hay experts have new dried leaves now, is there anything here that could be worth giving her in conjunction with sticking with hay & pellets (no veg) for now.

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/herbs-treats-by-the-hay-experts.html

Birch, Blackberry and Plantain I think I have read about on here.

And maybe a probiotic powder for her water? Although in the past she just refuses her water if there is anything in it other than water so I don't want her to stop drinking.

Sorry for the massive post! :oops: I hope I have covered everything that may be useful background info though.

So the carrot was fed the night before the odd caecals? This could be the issue, perhaps your bun is very sensitive to sugars and the sweet carrot upsets the balance. I have a bunny who is the same with even a teeny bit of apple :(

Yes, both times she had carrot the night before she did big excess/malformed ones in the morning. So Sunday and Wednesday night. She did them on the days between aswell but much smaller, as if her system was getting better and more balanced again, then I tipped it back over the edge with last nights carrot as she left a gross sticky big one today.

She used to eat apple but I can't remember why I stopped. She used to get yucky excess ceacals when given any of those treat type stick things from pet shops too so she hasn't had those for over a year either now. Maybe it is the sugars she can't handle, it does seem to point that way.

ETA: thank you for the reply xx

Back