• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ivy poorly?

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
Hey gang,

So today. So confused.

Ivy has been perfectly fine all day. Took treats and was acting her usual self. I did clean out their litter tray and hoovered up. Which does spook them. Anyway, came to feeding them this evening and she was disinterested. I left and put on bunny cam to see if maybe it was just my presence. Still not interested. She was laid under the table. She started flopping. Then got up. She lay down and then repeated kept like rolling on her side…I think she was trying to get back up? The table is quite low mind so they can’t sit up properly there.

When I walked in cause it freaked me out, she kept herself in a laid out position which is unlike her. She’s a very skittish rabbit and I’ve only ever seen her laid out like that…

Any ideas what happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s quite possible she was incredibly spooked. She appears to be munching again. I shall keep my eye on her over night but I’m gonna avoid entering the room they are in for now(it’s near 2am) as she seems to be hopping around and eating.

She seems to be okay. They are currently napping but she has taken whatever food has been offered to her.

She seems to be okay. They are currently napping but she has taken whatever food has been offered to her.

Glad to hear that, keep following her. I hope she continues like this. Xxxxx

She stopped eating again at breakfast this morning. She tucked into breakfast and then suddenly just stopped and didn’t seem like herself and in pain again…

I caught her, decided to give her a once over and feel her tummy and that. Let her go while I decided what to do and she went back to her perky self again.

Safe to say we are going to the vets first thing tomorrow morning as something isn’t quite right. She’s eating and pooping currently but something isn’t right with her. :(

She stopped eating again at breakfast this morning. She tucked into breakfast and then suddenly just stopped and didn’t seem like herself and in pain again…

I caught her, decided to give her a once over and feel her tummy and that. Let her go while I decided what to do and she went back to her perky self again.

Safe to say we are going to the vets first thing tomorrow morning as something isn’t quite right. She’s eating and pooping currently but something isn’t right with her. :(

Glad she's still eating and pooping at least, I'm looking forward to the improvements. Sending lots of vibrations for Ivy xxxxxxxx

Oh, I'm sorry she had trouble eating again. :( Good luck at the vets today. I hope they can find out what's bothering her. Sending Ivy lots of vibes.

Hello,

So. The vet gave her an examination and all looks to be okay. She didn’t feel anything going on in her tummy. They said her gut sounded a little slow so she gave her a blood glucose test which came back 9.1 (I think). They said that it was slightly above normal but it is likely due to the stress of going to the vets.

They prescribed loxicom and domperidone.

I was told that Metaclopramide can actually cause rabbits pain as it induces painful stomach spasms/movement? What do you guys think?

I admit that I don’t take them to a rabbit savvy vet as there aren’t any in my area, however they do communicate with Battle Flats who are rabbit savvy. They advised them that Domperidone is better for them compared to Metaclopramide.

I've definitely heard that metaclop can cause painful tummy cramps. Possibly from the ooh vet when giving meds.

My vet always issues metacam with any gut meds as a matter of course though so I've always given them together.

I've not had the other med your vet mentioned though, only metaclop, cisapride and randitine.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I've had domperidone from my very rabbit savvy vets - I think its gentler

I hope your bun recovers soon

I've had domperidone from my very rabbit savvy vets - I think its gentler

I hope your bun recovers soon

Thank you. I feel a lot more confident about the vets I chose knowing that they have a good communication line with a rabbit savvy vet, it is the next best thing. [emoji4]

On another note, I caught Leafy flopping earlier which is a rare occurrence. They usually loaf and snuggle together. [emoji3059]

Back