• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Inner ear infection? How long does it take to get better?

rachdee

New Kit
My lovely lop Hamish has been having problems with nystagmus and his head turning from side to side. Please take a look at this video of him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nFJqEbE2G4

He has a history of suspected EC 4 years ago. We know that his eyesight is not so good and he has the start of cataracts.

Since November last year he has had spells of doing this head turning thing. The last 4 weeks have been worse. I have been treating him with Panacur, Emeprid, Metacam. Poor little chap - it hurts so much to see him like this although in general he seems pretty happy. He is eating ok and seems mostly quite perky apart from when he has a bad spell.

He has been having Baytril since last Thursday but I'm not sure that it has made any difference yet - how long would it take to see some improvement if it was an inner ear infection?

Thanks, Rachel

Last edited:
I watched the video and I was really sad. :| I am new to rabbit care and have little experience. But there are wonderfully knowledgeable people on this forum, they will help you.
I hope this sweet bunny gets well soon. I send lots of vibrations for Hamis. Xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Hi, has a middle ear infection been confirmed by CT scan or is it a presumptive diagnosis ? Is the nystagmus horizontal or vertical ? Bacterial ear infections usually cause horizontal and rotational nystagmus, EC usually causes vertical nystagmus.

Ear infections usually require several weeks of antibiotic treatment. Sometimes Baytril is not that helpful. Injectable Penicillin may be more effective or Azithromycin.

The scanning your Rabbit is displaying looks more akin to EC than to an ear infection.

Some information about ear infections http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

Thank you for your reply. No we haven't had anything confirmed - just trying the antibiotics to see if they help at all.

His nystagmus is horizontal.

Hamish has been on Panacur for a month now but it hasn't made any difference. He has never has a blood test to confirm EC but that is what the vets suspected when he had his first problems 4 years ago.

So it seems that EC can cause an ear infection? Is it likely then that he had a flare of EC and this has caused a possible infection?

I'm leaning towards asking for a scan so we can be clearer about what is going on.

He did have some sulfatrim but wouldn't take it so we swapped over to Baytril as he will take that quite readily. Do you think we should ask for a different antibiotic or persist with the Baytril for a while?

Thank you for your reply. No we haven't had anything confirmed - just trying the antibiotics to see if they help at all.

His nystagmus is horizontal.

Hamish has been on Panacur for a month now but it hasn't made any difference. He has never has a blood test to confirm EC but that is what the vets suspected when he had his first problems 4 years ago.

So it seems that EC can cause an ear infection? Is it likely then that he had a flare of EC and this has caused a possible infection?

I'm leaning towards asking for a scan so we can be clearer about what is going on.

He did have some sulfatrim but wouldn't take it so we swapped over to Baytril as he will take that quite readily. Do you think we should ask for a different antibiotic or persist with the Baytril for a while?

EC does not cause ear infections, but ear infections can flare up if a Rabbit’s immune system is already compromised by fighting EC.

A scan now may not be the best idea as he would need a GA and obviously he is high risk as far as anaesthesia goes. Before going ahead with a scan you’d need to weigh up risks v benefits. What would knowing if there definitely was an ear infection change as far as treatment goes ? He is already on an antibiotic and if there is no improvement at all after about 10 days then the Vet could prescribe a different antibiotic. Would you want him to undergo surgery if an ear infection were confirmed by CT scan. If not then personally I would not risk the scan and I would continue with treating with antibiotics. Ear surgery is highly invasive with considerable post operative pain. It is not always successful and may have to be repeated as infection can recur. It can, however, be successful in the end.

Graphic images on this link about ear surgery

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...itis-externa-media-and-interna-in-rabbits.pdf

How long was he on sulfatrim? Did it make a difference? When my bunny stopped responding to Baytril, Sulfatrim helped.
Antibiotics may need more time, yet as IM said a different antibiotic may be better than baytril.
Does his condition get worse after handling?
Sending positive vibes for you and your adorable bunny? How old is he?

Thanks IM - you're right, I wouldn't feel comfortable him having a GA as he is atm.

I think we'll just carry on with Baytril for a little while longer then if no change will see about trying a different antibiotic. The vet should be ringing me in the next couple of days so I will see what she recommends.

Bunny momma - thanks for the positive vibes x

He seems to get worse if he has had his head down washing - then when he comes up it starts again. He's 5 1/2.

Did your bunny take the sulfatrim ok or did you syringe it? I haven't found anything that disguises the taste so that he will take it. Syringing it just stressed him and made him worse.

I watched the video and I was really sad. :| I am new to rabbit care and have little experience. But there are wonderfully knowledgeable people on this forum, they will help you.
I hope this sweet bunny gets well soon. I send lots of vibrations for Hamis. Xxxxxxxx

Thank you so much x

Back