• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Increasing weight

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
Ok my pair of bunnies maintain well on excel pellets, one of my mini handfuls each morning and night (half that in summer), a couple of handfuls of treat hay (currently a green oat hay, looks and smells yummy) and insane amounts of meadow hay ( a normal farmers bale lasts about 10 days for 3 bunnies). They also get a variety of herbs and other plants depending on the season, handpicked grass, apple tree twigs, and treat amounts of veggies. This seems to keep them on a stable weight (I usually hand feed herbie a couple of extra bits of veggies and fenugreek crunchies when delilah isnt looking as he seems to need a tiny bit more). Hamish on the other hand is a nightmare. Herbie was very thin when I got him, and took a while to stabilise at a sensible weight, but keeping a good amount of pellet and fresh foods works well. Hamish was as thin as herbie and although he is no longer worryingly thin, he does find it hard to maintain weight. My vet has had a look, and isnt overly concerned at the moment, and cant find anything wrong with a routine check over. He eats well, mountains of hay, noms his pellets with gusto and enjoys most herbs/veg/twigs etc. He isnt keen on the mini alfalfa bales that my others enjoy, but he does like fenugreek crunchies. Hamish is currently having about a third of a normal cat bowl (those heavy ceramic type ones with cat on them, Im sure he cant read so wont cause offence! :lol:) twice a day.

Trouble is his weight seems to have levelled out at slightly under ideal. Is there a higher calorie but tummy safe pellet alternative? could I supplement with a little of a yummy mix like the rabbit royale on top of his current meals like a treat to pick his weight up more? I think he just burns it off roaring round like a nutter all the time. He gets a lot of free range time on the patio and was used to a 4ft hutch before, so seems to be trying to make up for it now! He is a very exciteable and energetic bun, even moreso than my other two and I can only assume he just burns off more than he eats at the moment. Im reluctant to cut back on his play time, and was hoping he could have longer out once the weather improves and the evenings are lighter. He only has a 5ft hutch with a 5x4 run at the moment plus a large patio area about 2 hours most mornings and about 4 hours most afternoons so any less is getting a bit cruel. He is rather fluffy (lionhead type bunny, but not the crazy fluffy type, just noticably more than my normal bunnies) and has been keeping warm well in the hutch (wrapped, covered, stuffed with hay and cardboard base). He isnt neutered as when I got him there wasnt anything to remove yet :oops: and then it got nasty cold and I wanted to wait for spring warm weather when I could make sure he could recover ok. I assume once neutered his weight will keep on better.

Anyone have any other ideas why an otherwise healthy bun could be such a challenge to keep weight on? Is increasing pellets more the best choice or is a higher calorie treat or a mix like rabbit royale food (its full of yummy looking flowers and stuff) on top of the current foods?

You could add some mix into their food but rabbit royale is actually a really good food considering it's a mix so that might not do much

Things like carrots are high in sugar if your rabbit can tolerate them in larger ammounts

There are lots of treats on the pet market too that aren't the best for giving to healthy sized rabbits regularly but useful for putting weight on them

Barley rings can be used and are supposedly good at getting animals to put on weight but they're used for horses so I'm not sure if you'd be able to get a small bag

Maybe add some oats into the food?

Thanks, I liked the rabbit royale as its least artificial but i suppose I need to go sweeter. None of my bunnies seem to like carrots much unfortunately or sweet red peppers, they much prefer herbs and twigs. Are there other high calorie veggies? They have a little apple on occasion, but not much as I worry about the acidity. What treats are safe? Ive used the herb mixes and hay based things and fenugreek crunchies but have always steered clear of the others as Im never sure that theyre safe (some stuff labelled for bunnies clearly wasnt suitable) and whats in them (im sure some have more E numbers than most kids sweets :shock:). Do you mean the dodson and horrel barley rings? If so I can get mum to grab a sample bag at work (dodsons food is a preference when you get a nice discount ;) ) With the oats is that just like human food oats or horse food oats? Do they make bunnies hyper like they do horses?

I give my skinny boy porridge oats softened with water every morning. Seems to work at putting weight on but as soon as I stop giving it he drops back to his skinny little weight again.

Thanks, I'll grab some porridge and some yummy treats when Im in town today and see if I can get his weight up. As long as its safe food for him he can have whatever he needs. Im hopeful that he will improve once neutered and access to more grass in summer may help too.

Back