• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I, of all people, rescued a rabbit.

Preitler

Warren Scout
Well, now I've got one more buck than I planned for...

A meat breeder down the road, old guy, didn't latch his hutches properly weeks ago, whole litter escaped (idiot didn't tell me), one day on my way to the train station I noticed a small rabbit in the bushes. Took me 3 days to build enough trust to get close enough to grab him. He was the sole surviver, all others were already taken by the teeth and claws of the night. So that's a pretty smart guy I reckon. Might have helped that he's agouti, and his siblings were checkered or white.

Returned him to the owner and soon felt bad about it, outside he would have had a good life, most certainly short, but back in the hutch it would have been just a short life. He showed an interesting character outside, but was a heap of skittish, nervous fur in the (very small) hutch. And he wouldn't have gotten very old anyway since the old guy has to give up his hobby now.

Sooo, I've got a new boy, about 3 months old. With a crooked ear, both lean heavily to the right . And he's amazing. So friendly, curious, and happy to see me every time. The girls are fond of him too, just dropped flat in anticipation when I let him out in the garden with them but he's too young for that :D . Such a little happy camper, binkying all over the place now.

Nontypical for me, he already has a name. "Hansi", after my father who died not long after this little guy was born.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new rabbit. I have a soft spot for agoutis. He sounds lovely.

Aw that's a lovely story, he certainly found the right person didn't he :) but sorry to hear about your dad

Hansi was very smart to evade teeth and claws, yet mostly because he chose you!! Lovely story.
I am sorry you lost your dad.

Back