• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to serve water?

youngbunny2

Mama Doe
Our other buns have normal bottles,but little pancake our baby with problem legs cannot sit up enough to reach the bottle.I have tried a bowl and it gets full of rubbish and knocked over by mummy! I thought about hanging a bottle but it will just swing about? any ideas?? (they are in an indoor cage)

I use a food bowl for water. I bought my rabbit a bottle identical to the one he had in his previous home, but became concerned that the water level did not go down. Turns out he prefers a bowl. I change the water 2/3 times a day to ensure freshness, but he doesn't drink much. The vet assures me he's not dehydrated - apparently some bunnies get most of the moisture the need from fresh veggies. :wave:

Mine have a large dog's bowl, partly cos with four they go through about 750ml a day and partly cos they can't pick that up and chuck it around. I can barely pick it up when full! To keep stuff out of it I try and put it away from hay and their litter trays.

What type of bowls have you tried? There are heavy ceramic ones that are harder to knock over. There are also plastic ones that are wider at the base than at the top which stops them from being knocked over accidentally, but they could be picked up in the mouth if a bun wanted. You can get them both in wilkinsons

my bunnies have a ceramic bowl thats meant to be able to not get tipped over but they always manage to shove it around and throw it down the stairs! :roll: but they have never actually managed to tip it over.
this is the one i have:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rabbit-feeding-bowl-by-happy-pet-15855

its a good bowl but i wouldnt recommend putting it upstairs in your hutch! :lol:

Mine easily move those ones around. I have four but I only ever use them in their run as it doesn't matter in there if they splash and tip it.

For water we have the same design but a dog one, it holds about 1.5 litres. When full they have no chance of moving it!

Back