• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to gain weight in a rabbit?

KCG

Warren Veteran
Cookie was 1800 grams before sterilization in July. He suddenly lost up to 1500 grams of weight after sterilization surgery. After the operation, he always maintains her weight between 1600-1700 grams (I think maybe this is the reason for the health problems we have). Honestly, he's not thin right now, but I want him to be heavier. How can I make him gain weight?

He is not underweight. He does not need to gain. It is far healthier to be on the lean side. As long as he is maintaining his weight then don’t worry :)

He is not underweight. He does not need to gain. It is far healthier to be on the lean side. As long as he is maintaining his weight then don’t worry :)

Really? I always wonder if he should go back to his pre-neutering weight? That's why I'm undecided as to whether he's good weight or not. :roll:

With fewer hormones any excess weight will be fat which is not healthy. Plus foods that add weight usually have less fiber so not ideal for digestion. My longest lived bunny was slightly thin.
Cookie appears normal weight. Vets feel ribs and spine to assess if a bunny is an appropriate weight.

With fewer hormones any excess weight will be fat which is not healthy. Plus foods that add weight usually have less fiber so not ideal for digestion. My longest lived bunny was slightly thin.
Cookie appears normal weight. Vets feel ribs and spine to assess if a bunny is an appropriate weight.

This information is very useful for me, thank you so much :)

I think a lot about Cookie's weight. Cookie's weight before surgery is 1895 grams, after surgery 1550 grams. Weight after surgery is always 1600-1700 grams. I can't be convinced about this weight, it seems unhealthy to me. I want him to be 1800 grams again. How do you think I can make Cookie gain weight in a healthy way? I still want Cookie to gain 100-150 grams of weight. Currently his weight is constantly changing between 1575-1675 grams, I don't like it.

Last edited:
Back