• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long before any change? (E - Cunli)

Floppylop

Young Bun
Just wondering how long it takes for treatment to show improvement (if it is going to happen) my rabbit has been treated for it for two weeks now (Panancur and Met) he is still eating fine, and getting around etc, but his head tilt is still as bad, can anyone tell me how long their bunnies took to improve however slightly

Just wondering how long it takes for treatment to show improvement (if it is going to happen) my rabbit has been treated for it for two weeks now (Panancur and Met) he is still eating fine, and getting around etc, but his head tilt is still as bad, can anyone tell me how long their bunnies took to improve however slightly
It can take weeks or months for the tilt to gradually improve even when cause and other symptoms pass. My bunny's tilt improved 90% yet he had a slight permanent tilt.

Last edited:
Noodley had shocking head tilt - loads of rolling - she was back on her feet after a long 6 weeks but had a jaunty little head tilt & a propensity to run in circles for the rest of her life. She was a happy bun. Mouse I rescued at 4-5 ish years old, she had EC related head tilt. I don't know how severe it was at its worst but she remains tilty to this day (5 years on) - no ther symptoms. I think 28 days or less must be a reasonable benchmark & certainly when you'd want to review things - I'm just basing this on panacur treatment being 28 days.

Its good your bun somes bright & is eating well

My rabbit was on it for 3 weeks before I noticed the first promising sign (he wasn't incontinent urine daily). It was 4 weeks before he started eating properly and I could reduce the syringe feeds, then another week or so before he was drinking from his bowl again. It's a very slow and disheartening process at times but stuck with it!

Daphne was caught incredibly early and showed improvement within 2 weeks. Thankfully she's back to a completely normal bun again in general but occasionally has a little misbalance.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

If it is definitely EC, just keep going with the treatment. It can take a while, and there can be some intermittent regression in the symptoms - it's a bit of a rollercoaster ride. You may also need more than one round of treatment - check with your vet towards the end of this 28 day session if symptoms persist. I would expect to see some improvement in the next week, but it is variable. It's good that his mobility and eating are not affected as it makes things a lot easier. Rabbits generally cope well with head tilt, whether it's temporary or permanent.

Don't forget that the parasite is shed in urine and reinfection can occur. You need to do a full disinfect of anything that may have been in contact with urine on days 21 and 28 of the treatment cycle as this disrupts the lifecyce of the parasite. A 10% bleach solution or steam cleaning is recommended, although other suitable veterinary disinfectants are available (eg Virkon S). So all flooring, bowls, toys, walls in the 'splash zone', etc need doing, and change all hay & other bedding on these days.

Back