• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do I make my rabbit to drink more water ?

Anda

New Kit
I just came back from a vet appointment with my rabbit, and my vet said that my rabbit is dehydrated. Corrie, my rabbit, is going to surgery soon in about a week, so I need to get her blood levels back to normal within a week. Any tips for encouraging Corrie to drink more water? Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
To increase water consumption:
- make sure they have free access to fresh water at all times - bowls are better than bottles. Change the water daily and top up in between if needed.
- feed fresh grass and veg / forage / herbs rather than dried. You can always rinse the veg / forage / herbs and leave it wet, so extra fluid is ingested along with the greens

This may be helpful:
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/illness/rabbit-bladder-problems/

Also make sure that they have adequate accommodation and access to shade, so they are not obliged to be in full sun all day. Being confined to a small hutch could contribute to dehydration. Rabbits need a lot of space to move about freely.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/space-recommendations/

If your rabbit already has a decent living space and free access to water in a bowl, I would be more worried about why she is dehydrated and why the vet didn't investigate further.

To increase water consumption:
- make sure they have free access to fresh water at all times - bowls are better than bottles. Change the water daily and top up in between if needed.
- feed fresh grass and veg / forage / herbs rather than dried. You can always rinse the veg / forage / herbs and leave it wet, so extra fluid is ingested along with the greens

This may be helpful:
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/illness/rabbit-bladder-problems/

Also make sure that they have adequate accommodation and access to shade, so they are not obliged to be in full sun all day. Being confined to a small hutch could contribute to dehydration. Rabbits need a lot of space to move about freely.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/space-recommendations/

If your rabbit already has a decent living space and free access to water in a bowl, I would be more worried about why she is dehydrated and why the vet didn't investigate further.

This is what concerns me. Also, if your Rabbit is dehydrated was fluid therapy given by the Vet ?

I had to syringe water for two days. I did put very little of 100% apple juice or vanila stick or mint leaves (soking them for some time) or probiotic powder. And every 3 hours I put 10 ml into him. Slowly but still.

Other possibility is if you know how to, fluis under the skin-sterile saline.

If the surgery isn't urgent, I would look at delaying it a week or two, and reassess the situation. I wouldn't put a health-compromised rabbit through a procedure that could wait. Rabbits don't do well when stressed, and surgery on its own is stressful. If they have a pre-existing condition that may affect the outcome of the surgery, it would be safest to sort that out first, if at all possible.

How is she doing now?

Back