• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - how do you dose your bunnies without having to catch them?

Griffski

Warren Scout
Hi all - just wondered if anyone has any tips for getting liquid meds into bunnies without catching them and using syringe.

Depending on the meds you could try mixing it into a little mashed banana or fruit/veg baby food, or put some on a shreddie or a treat, or hide in a basil leaf. If it’s metacam some bunnies take it from the syringe without any issues.

The thing that's worked best for me is wetting her pellets with warm water so they're squishy. Then adding the liquid meds on top so they absorb into the pellets. Then also adding 1ml of Fibreplex paste for her digestion and because she likes it :D Illy *hates* to be grabbed/picked up/touched so this method has been a lifesaver for us both.

Hi - thanks for the suggestions - I tried baby food - no joy - but apple slices have worked a treat to my massive relief (Boots I have similar issues with mine).. it's so useful to have some backup strategies in case that stops working.

It's worth building up contact time with rabbits so that you can catch and medicate them in the future. Although it's not useful right now, maybe get them used to taking something nice from your hand or from a syringe. If they are used to getting treats this way, medicating them is so much easier. Even being able to reliably get them into eg a carrier can be a big help - so regular treats or pellets in the back of an open carrier, for example, will mean they won't be as spooked when you need them to be there. Regular (eg weekly) grooming also gets them used to being handled, which again helps when you have to medicate them. It all helps reduce their stress, and yours.

Back