• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - bonded bunnies suddenly fighting

Lulu&Felix

New Kit
Hi, Im having trouble with my previously devoted rabbits. Felix had an overnight stay at vet to get teeth filed - this is not unusual. Lulu was a bit out of sorts with him away-this is not unusual. They have been bonded for 6 years. Lulu is the submissive rabbit but she is smart, cunning, trainable and adventurous. Felix is a slouch. When Felix came home this time she went at him and now goes him (its been a couple of days) whenever he is in the vicinity. I have separated them but as they both generally have run of the house - ongoing separation is not easy. At first I thought he might smell funny but I now think its a dominance thing. Its as if Lulu has decided that she no longer wants to groom him but he wont have it any other way. I put them in a room together that was neutral territory. Each one approached the other - there was a stand off - an aggressive bump of noses and both retreated. This behaviour repeated for about 1/2hr. They are sleeping in the same space overnight but its divided with a fence where they aggressively bump noses from time to time. I read that they might bond if both put in a stressful situation like a car ride. Does anyone have any tricks or ideas? This is a very sad situation.

Yes it is very upsetting when this happens. I have had to split a pair up whih have been together and happy for a few years for no apparent reason, except one of them is 9 now so whether this has something to do with it I don't know. The only thing I can think of which might help your 2 is to put them in a small space such as a puppy pen and see if this helps. Are they both neutered? It sounds like she thinks he is a different Rabbit hence her behaviour. I hope they settle down together again.

Many thanks. They are 6 and 7 - been together since 6 and 12 months old. Ive now noticed that Lulu is dropping poo all over the house (normally very tidy) so perhaps your right and its about territory - perhaps he was housed in an unclean cage at the vets. The scent should be starting to fade now though or maybe I need to wipe his fur down - with her urine perhaps!!!!??? Im actually a bit serious about trying that........

Back