• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello From A Newbie

Mrs.Clooney

Young Bun
Hello there, I am looking forward to helpful and constructive advice on rearing happy rabbits. I am a furry animal lover and already proud owner of my zoo of Labrador, cat and Dwarf hamster. I am new to keeping rabbits but not totally unfamiliar. The problem I am having prior to getting rabbits is housing. I live in Hertfordshire and there really don't appear to be too many options for decent and secure rabbit hutches in my area. I don't really like the Pets At Home hutches.....in my opinion they are flimsy and small. Partners Pet Supermarket are not much better and few other places don't really offer decent hutches.

Is there anyone on this site who lives in Hertfordshire and can advise me please? We live next to a green belt and are visited by foxes!!

Also I see that some of you keep your hutches on hard stands. I will want my rabbits to be well sheltered and our large patio is he best place. If one keeps a bunny on a hard stand, do you place them in a pen for grass and exercise? I won't be able to let mine roam free.

Thank you.

Hello and welcome. A lot of folk have a hutch and run combination so bunny can choose whether to be in or out. There are lots of examples in the Housing Section to give you some idea. The Welfare Hutches seem well liked but being on an Island I can't get these delivered. The Happy Hutch Co is another, maybe you could start a thread asking for advice re hutches. The RWA recommend a minimum size of 6' x 2' x 2'.

Take a look in the housing section at the top of the page. It is full of really inspiring set ups.

Mine are in a shed/aviary set ups and have mesh under the runs to stop and digging out.

Back