• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay problem!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser has been enjoying his green oat hay, but it seems to make his watery eye worse. I'm dealing with this by giving him small amounts at a time, and not topping up overnight. He had no problem with sample bags of green oat hay from Animal Magic, but this is a larger bag from The Hay Experts. It's the same brand though. :? Now I have to decide whether to order another big bag, or stick to sample bags. I depend on online ordering as Spenser won't eat any of the hays I can buy at P@H (including the Excel brands).:?

I would suspect that's related to the courseness of it and how hard Spenser has to chew and likely its hurting his teeth and his tooth root is being aggravated, which is causing the tear duct to react, which is causing the eye to run more. If you follow. :lol:

Hay that is labelled as the same, can be the same type, but a different cut, etc, so I would wonder if its nothing to do with the size of the bag, just the cut of the hay. That's not something you can control, sadly.

:wave: Susie!

I have a similar issue (nothing to do with tear ducts!)

I have 2 bags of Excel 'Fresh Forage'. One bag i finished today was lovely, green and rather stalky. The 2nd bag which i purchased online (so no quality check in store by me) is very dusty, very short stranded and a lot more yellow.

I wish hay was just hay, but unfortunately it isn't.

Sky's description of the tooth root pressure is much more detailed than mine, which was going to be something along the lines of "harder to chew, hurts teeth" :lol:

:wave: Susie!

I have a similar issue (nothing to do with tear ducts!)

I have 2 bags of Excel 'Fresh Forage'. One bag i finished today was lovely, green and rather stalky. The 2nd bag which i purchased online (so no quality check in store by me) is very dusty, very short stranded and a lot more yellow.

I wish hay was just hay, but unfortunately it isn't.

Sky's description of the tooth root pressure is much more detailed than mine, which was going to be something along the lines of "harder to chew, hurts teeth" :lol:

That makes sense, but it's odd if this is so that he does seem to like it more than many other hays I've offered. The one hay he wouldn't touch at al was Welsh Meadow, which is very fine stranded so I would have thought ideal for a bun with suspected dental issues. I do notice he only ever has a few bits of the green oat at a time - could be that pain kicks in at that stage. Poor Spenser. :( Still, not so long until his x-rays can be done.

That makes sense, but it's odd if this is so that he does seem to like it more than many other hays I've offered. The one hay he wouldn't touch at al was Welsh Meadow, which is very fine stranded so I would have thought ideal for a bun with suspected dental issues. I do notice he only ever has a few bits of the green oat at a time - could be that pain kicks in at that stage. Poor Spenser. :( Still, not so long until his x-rays can be done.

If it makes you feel any better, Biscuit only eats the 'thin grassy bits' in Green Oat Hay and leaves the big chunky yellow bits to Ginger - which for us, is bloody awesome, as she's the one who needs it for her dental issues :wave:

Oddly, i find although Oat Hay is preferred to regular meadow hay etc, they NEVER eat it all in one sitting, but will often move on to regular hay and then come back to the oat hay later. Almost like its 'too rich' if that makes sense?

Bit like if you have chocolate cake thats really rich with a dollop of icecream. You eat a couple of mouthfuls of choccy cake and its sooooo rich you have to have a mouthful of icecream before you can face more choccy?

I've only recently enterered the world of 'bad teeth' but from everything i've read, they are so unpredictable and each case can be different, be it spurs, or roots.

Sorry, i've rambled haven't i? :oops:

If it makes you feel any better, Biscuit only eats the 'thin grassy bits' in Green Oat Hay and leaves the big chunky yellow bits to Ginger - which for us, is bloody awesome, as she's the one who needs it for her dental issues :wave:

Oddly, i find although Oat Hay is preferred to regular meadow hay etc, they NEVER eat it all in one sitting, but will often move on to regular hay and then come back to the oat hay later. Almost like its 'too rich' if that makes sense?

Bit like if you have chocolate cake thats really rich with a dollop of icecream. You eat a couple of mouthfuls of choccy cake and its sooooo rich you have to have a mouthful of icecream before you can face more choccy?I've only recently enterered the world of 'bad teeth' but from everything i've read, they are so unpredictable and each case can be different, be it spurs, or roots.

Sorry, i've rambled haven't i? :oops:

Now this I can relate to :lol:

Back