• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay poo vs grass poo!?

kt6382

Warren Scout
Now that the weather is better and I'm out and about in the garden my bunnies get alot more time out free range on the lawn which they love! :) However I've noticed how much their poo changes.. When they munched a batch of yummy newly bought hay and have sat about in the shed they have the large golden poops that everyone raves about but when they've been out and about munching lots and lots of grass (their natural diet?) they seem to have smaller, darker poops?? Now these don't look so good compared to the large golden ones but I'm assuming hte golden bits are from the hay so of course grass eating poo would be darker.. why smaller though?? I thought it would be best for them to be out on the grass like they would in the wild? and they love it!!! they love grass much more than hay!!

Now that the weather is better and I'm out and about in the garden my bunnies get alot more time out free range on the lawn which they love! :) However I've noticed how much their poo changes.. When they munched a batch of yummy newly bought hay and have sat about in the shed they have the large golden poops that everyone raves about but when they've been out and about munching lots and lots of grass (their natural diet?) they seem to have smaller, darker poops?? Now these don't look so good compared to the large golden ones but I'm assuming hte golden bits are from the hay so of course grass eating poo would be darker.. why smaller though?? I thought it would be best for them to be out on the grass like they would in the wild? and they love it!!! they love grass much more than hay!!

Mine are the same!! would be interested in the responses you get!! :wave:

Glad someone's are the same! Phew! Mine are outdoor buns, are yours? I think maybe a lot of people on here have inddor bunnies, or bunnies with runs on concrete slabs so they don't get so much grass compared to hay.... Mine are def grass munchers, they love it! Which I think is a good sign? They're out there free range, heads down grazing at the moment! Mowing machines!!! Thank goodness the grass is finally starting to grow!!

Glad someone's are the same! Phew! Mine are outdoor buns, are yours? I think maybe a lot of people on here have inddor bunnies, or bunnies with runs on concrete slabs so they don't get so much grass compared to hay.... Mine are def grass munchers, they love it! Which I think is a good sign? They're out there free range, heads down grazing at the moment! Mowing machines!!! Thank goodness the grass is finally starting to grow!!

My frenchie is free range with a playhouse & outdoors...

got 2 indoor buns too with the same though - to be honest my indoor boy has never really had the really golden variety but my indoor girl has... I've been letting them out quite a bit lately though to enjoy the sunshine (and grass) when my outdoor boy is shut away so was wondering if that was the reason!

It's normal :) You get big golden poops with hay just because of the differences in hay and grass. If they munch on straw bedding they get even more golden!

It's normal :) You get big golden poops with hay just because of the differences in hay and grass. If they munch on straw bedding they get even more golden!

So munching on grass is just as good for them? Because mine really don't munch as much hay when they've got the option of grass! Mine are happily hopping about and grazing now... getting braver and braver as exploring up on the decking! Grogeous boys!

So munching on grass is just as good for them? Because mine really don't munch as much hay when they've got the option of grass! Mine are happily hopping about and grazing now... getting braver and braver as exploring up on the decking! Grogeous boys!

Same for me - my frenchie was a huge hay eater when I got him from the rescue but the amount he eats now has reduced drastically since the grass started to grow!

Grass is just as good, and possibly even better than hay. It's what bunnies teeth and digestive system is honed for.

Scamp is just the same, now the grass is growing (if a little soggy) he doesn't eat hay at all. He's inside so I cut him bowls of grass and he gets much more excited about it than he does hay arrival in winter. I add hay to his tray still just in case but I haven't seen him eating it for weeks.

Grass is just as good, and possibly even better than hay. It's what bunnies teeth and digestive system is honed for.

Scamp is just the same, now the grass is growing (if a little soggy) he doesn't eat hay at all. He's inside so I cut him bowls of grass and he gets much more excited about it than he does hay arrival in winter. I add hay to his tray still just in case but I haven't seen him eating it for weeks.

Thanks for this - it's gonna save me huge amounts in uneaten hay now!! :D
I've still been putting the same amounts in 'just in case'....! and I never thought of picking some for my indoor buns too!

I use virtually no hay at all over summer :) Your indoor buns will love you for it, though obviously introduce it gradually. I do wonder if the neighbours think I'm weird 'mowing' the lawn in patches with scissors though :lol:

I do wonder if the neighbours think I'm weird 'mowing' the lawn in patches with scissors though :lol:

My neighbours already know I'm weird so I don't need to worry about being seen. :lol::lol:

Bubbles had dental problems and wouldn't eat hay at all so I used to feed her grass instead and it's just as good for them as hay, but just tends to make the poops look a little smaller and darker - I'm guessing the size is due to the water content in the grass but I don't know for sure. :? People rave about the golden poops but much depends on the type of hay and what else they're eating (veggies, wild plants, herbs etc) so I tend to look at size/texture (they should be crumbly & fibrous not than tiny & hard) rather than colour.

My neighbours already know I'm weird so I don't need to worry about being seen. :lol::lol:

Bubbles had dental problems and wouldn't eat hay at all so I used to feed her grass instead and it's just as good for them as hay, but just tends to make the poops look a little smaller and darker - I'm guessing the size is due to the water content in the grass but I don't know for sure. :? People rave about the golden poops but much depends on the type of hay and what else they're eating (veggies, wild plants, herbs etc) so I tend to look at size/texture (they should be crumbly & fibrous not than tiny & hard) rather than colour.

it did worry me when I saw they were darker but they are still crumbly (othe than the ones that have been wee'd on!! ;)) so that makes me feel better :D

I use virtually no hay at all over summer :) Your indoor buns will love you for it, though obviously introduce it gradually. I do wonder if the neighbours think I'm weird 'mowing' the lawn in patches with scissors though :lol:

Tamsin Can I just ask why you use scissors rather than pulling it up?

Yep, my neighbours must think I'm mental crouched down on the lawn cutting patches with scissors!!! and when people bunny sit for me I have to pre-cut it coz none of them are mad enough to do it!!! .. I did try collecting lots and drying it out when I had a really long wil patch, but was hard to dry without it all blowing away and it shrinks down to not alot in the end (I guess this is why poops are smaller too?).. so hay is easier in winter.

Thanks for replying and saying grass is fine and that poops will be smaller and darker :) I can relax now! (although I may have to go and check crumbliness!!) .. my buns poops are also full of hair at the moment, horrible long strings! :( but someone else said that this is good as means hair isn't getting stuck inside?!

it did worry me when I saw they were darker but they are still crumbly (othe than the ones that have been wee'd on!! ;)) so that makes me feel better :D
:lol::lol::lol:

... my buns poops are also full of hair at the moment, horrible long strings! :( but someone else said that this is good as means hair isn't getting stuck inside?!

Yep, that's exactly it. They'll ingest the hair when grooming, more so like now when they're moulting, and the fact that it's passing through is a good sign. You might find poops are a little odd-shaped because of the fur and you can even get poop bracelets - when there's a few poops joined together with hair. :mrgreen::lol: I tend to just make sure they're eating plenty of fibre and drinking well (mine prefer their water with a splash of hot from the kettle :roll:) to help it pass through and grooming will help too. If they're not keen on being brushed, then a rub over with damp hands works pretty well.

I'm not Tamsin (obviously :lol:) but I tend to use scissors rather than pulling it so it doesn't pull out the roots as well.

Yep, I'm harvesting from the lawn and it's easier to cut rather than yank and end up with the roots too and leave a bald patch. I grab a handful and cut - I'm not doing it blade by blade or anything :lol:

Oops sorry double post

Tamsin Can I just ask why you use scissors rather than pulling it up?

I've wondered that too & likewise don't know for sure.
As for golden poops that's just a hay diet. If you have a look at fresh wildie poops they're all black without exception.

Remember older grass is better to eat than new shoots. New shoots can cause upset tummies. If you grow it in pots it's ideal because you can give it to them once it's fully grown.

Back