• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming brush recommendations please

Rabbit skin is very fragile and tears easily. So matts and tangles of fur need to be carefully trimmed out, not brushed/ combed out.

Morning, ok thank you. Iv cut a few out but I’m checking her daily for them so as not to get big. It’s mostly rear end & her big chin flap area that matts. The vets shaved the chest/chin but & I can keep her groomed xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just work on one area at a time. Remove as much as you can, but it doesn't have to be all in one go. As long as she's comfortable with what you are doing, you will get the mats out after a few attempts, then keep up with regular grooming from skin level. Knots and mats tend to form more around the tail / trouser areas (down the back legs), under arms and around the head - anywhere that rubs, basically - and these are also the hard to get to areas :). I tend to concentrate on one quarter at a time, clear that, then start on another but maintain the other areas.

Just work on one area at a time. Remove as much as you can, but it doesn't have to be all in one go. As long as she's comfortable with what you are doing, you will get the mats out after a few attempts, then keep up with regular grooming from skin level. Knots and mats tend to form more around the tail / trouser areas (down the back legs), under arms and around the head - anywhere that rubs, basically - and these are also the hard to get to areas :). I tend to concentrate on one quarter at a time, clear that, then start on another but maintain the other areas.

Thank you shimmer. Iv just had her up for a brush but she was t liking it so she’s having a break. Iv got a brush I got from pets at home but going to get proper grooming brushes & combs ordered today. Yes it definitely is those areas that get it. I cut a couple tiny bits with debris around neck area. I find it so scary though incase I cut her skin but will get used to it. She’s got vets today so they can help hold her. When your doing tummy area & around rear end do you hold them kind of on their backs to do it? Bella doesn’t like it but will tolerate in in very short bits. It would be much easier for someone she’s to hold her & me brush but my partner won’t do it as he hates it & is scared. I will get a family member if needs be to do that. Do you brush yours daily? Xx

I try to hold them in a standing position to do the back legs - it stops them kicking out if they have their feet on something solid, but it's not easy getting knots out on your own as one arm is holding / cradling bunny firmly against you with their tummy facing your grooming hand, and the other has the comb. Failing that, most bits are accessible if they are sitting on your lap and you can sort of reach under each leg a bit at a time. There's usually enough give in the skin that you can gently access quite a lot of the underneath areas without having move them, then hold them up to do the really inaccessible bits.

Mine all get groomed weekly and are lionhead crosses living outside. It's more a case of a thouough groom rather than a frequent one that doesn't get down to the roots. If they are having a full moult, they get done more often for those few weeks, but I find that once you get on top of the coat, you don't need to do it daily if you are getting down to skin level in all areas, although there's no harm in having a quick comb through frequently as it gets the rabbit used to it and you can cover a bigger area each time with practice.

I try to hold them in a standing position to do the back legs - it stops them kicking out if they have their feet on something solid, but it's not easy getting knots out on your own as one arm is holding / cradling bunny firmly against you with their tummy facing your grooming hand, and the other has the comb. Failing that, most bits are accessible if they are sitting on your lap and you can sort of reach under each leg a bit at a time. There's usually enough give in the skin that you can gently access quite a lot of the underneath areas without having move them, then hold them up to do the really inaccessible bits.

Mine all get groomed weekly and are lionhead crosses living outside. It's more a case of a thouough groom rather than a frequent one that doesn't get down to the roots. If they are having a full moult, they get done more often for those few weeks, but I find that once you get on top of the coat, you don't need to do it daily if you are getting down to skin level in all areas, although there's no harm in having a quick comb through frequently as it gets the rabbit used to it and you can cover a bigger area each time with practice.

Hi, thank you so much for all this guidance it’s so helpful for me [emoji846]. It’s definitely hard lol when your bonding & trying to do it yourself. Lion heads are beautiful. I will get into a good grooming routine & practice. I should get much better as time goes on. I was hol Id if not in a standing but a sitting kind of on her back but I think the standing will be much easier & she will feel better doing that way xx

Sounds good. Some bunnies are OK with being tipped backwards slightly, some are not. Beware of being kicked in the face if they don't have their feet on something solid. You just need to find something that you and bunny are comfortable with and gets the job done. Putting them on their backs in the trance position isn't generally seen as good practice - rabbits are a prey species and are particularly vulnerable in this position, so may be petrified into stillness rather than relaxed.

Sounds good. Some bunnies are OK with being tipped backwards slightly, some are not. Beware of being kicked in the face if they don't have their feet on something solid. You just need to find something that you and bunny are comfortable with and gets the job done. Putting them on their backs in the trance position isn't generally seen as good practice - rabbits are a prey species and are particularly vulnerable in this position, so may be petrified into stillness rather than relaxed.

Hi, I always did it where she was facing away from me but kind of sitting up leaning against me with her bum tilted to get in there. Iv Never tried her in her back as knew that wouldn’t be good. I saw a video of this & I found it so sad. Thank you for the heads up about being kicked as silly me didn’t think. Bellas a docile girl & very good at getting picked up etc. with Morgan he will be a handful lol. He’s a very big strong boy. Is back legs are huge! I’d definitely need to be very careful. I don’t think he will get matts etc as he grooms so well & will probably be easier to keep his coat brushed. It will be the holding & positions he will be hard. Shadow never got matts or things. She was a Netherland dwarf girl. That’s me getting ready for vets at 4. Hopefully get some antibiotics at least & hopefully they know what it is. Got a 30 min one so that’s good xx

Back