• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting some rabbits, is this set up okay?

Lozzibear

Warren Scout
Hiya everyone :wave:

I have just joined and would like to pick your brains, if that is okay :)

I don't have rabbits yet but I am due to get 3 little bunnies next week :D I have had rabbits in the past but I always kept them in the usual hutches which I now know just isn't enough space. So, I am wanting to do better this time around. I have a 10ft x 10ft dog kennel that I will be using which consists of a 10ft x 4ft 'inside' area and a 10ft x 6ft run. I also have a fully enclosed garden that they can have the run of when I am around to supervise. The kennel is on slabs so not something they can dig out of and it is fully roofed.

I am in the process of setting everything up and pleased with how it is coming along so far. I am going to be putting lino down (I found out that the large cupboard in the hall had lino under the carpet so I have pinched that :lol: ). The kennel has two large shelves in it (2ft x 4ft) that are about 4ft high so my dad is going to lower them and build ramps up to them, and I will cover them in lino too, and planning to use one as a feeding area with water and small bowl with pellets in it and the other one for a litter tray. I have read that they usually like to have hay above the litter box so will see how we get on but if need be I can hang a hay ball above it. I have ordered one of those hideaway boxes, but I am unsure where to put it... either in the run or the inside part... I was thinking in the run and then using cardboard boxes inside.

Seeing as most of their diet is hay, I am going to get various hay racks and hay balls to fill with hay around the inside and outside, and do similar with the veggies. As for toys, I am going to get a variety but is it best to leave them all out all the time or do they enjoy having them swapped about? Also, I have seen balls with bells in them that rabbits like, would a baby's be suitable? Or only a specific rabbit one? I have ordered two runabouts tunnels, a 1 ft and a 4 ft. The 1 ft is for putting in the entrance from the inside to the outside run and the 4 ft is for the run for them to play in.

I think I have covered everything... Do you think this sounds okay? Any tips of other things I can add for them? I want to give them the best I can so would be good to check if I am missing anything. I can't wait for them to come home :D

Sounds great! Mixing the toys around is a good idea, personally I don't find mine play with toys :roll: but they do like to shred a good willow ball! They prefer having levels, tunnels, hideaways, etc to explore, especially if I scatter some food around in different hidey places.

Are you planning on having litter trays? I've never found a decent hay rack that I've liked and felt was safe enough for my mad nethie cross to not get herself stuck in :roll: so I stick with a big pile of hay in litter trays which I change and refresh regularly and they seem to prefer that.

It sounds great!

You probably find they wouldn't play much with a ball with a bell - things like that don't tend to keep their attention like it might a cat/dog. But, what does often work well is a treatball (try the cat/dog section). You can put any dry food they do get in that and they'll chase it around to knock it out. I use them instead of a bowl.

The other toy I like is the wire balls you fill with veggies and hang. Toys that involve food do tend to work best :lol: Things like a flower pot to nudge around or cardboard boxes can work too - it's not so bad if they completely ignore them if you haven't spent money :)

Litter trays are a good idea, with all that space you could go for underbed storage box. That will give you lots of room for several bunny bottoms at once if necessary or a pile of hay.

The hideaway in the run sounds like a plan - with all that space it's good to give the option of some cover like the tunnel - you might find they sit on top of the box as much as inside :)

It sounds fantastic! I can't think of anything to add to the advice you've already had but I would love too see photos!

It all sounds great, I'd agree with the advice already given :thumb: and yes we will need pics :thumb:

Hiya, sounds amazing! Looking forward to seeing pictures!!

Another suggestion for toys which my 2 love. The kiddies type ball thing that you can fit plastic shapes into.. i put hay and treat in there and my 2 spend ages pulling at the hay, moving the ball in an attempt to get the treats out...

Keeps them occupied !

All the best
Fee x

Thank you for the suggestions :D

Yeah, I plan on using a litter box (the storage box idea is great and I have a spare one I could use!). I was going to put carefresh in the litter box. Where I work we have loads of cardboard boxes so I have been collecting them so I can make wee hiding places for inside the kennel.

I have a photo of the kennel when it was first put up on the laptop that I can post later but will put up more photos when it is all finished :) but before the rabbits are in it. So excited to get them!

Sounds great. Not housing related but do the three already live together? IF so are they all the same sex? either way if they arent already it would be best to get them neutered.

Welcome to the forum :D

Sounds great. Not housing related but do the three already live together? IF so are they all the same sex? either way if they arent already it would be best to get them neutered.

Welcome to the forum :D

Yeah, they are three sisters coming from a rescue :D. They aren't neutered yet but I know the rescue neuters if they are big enough by the time they leave or give out a neutering voucher. They are only just about to turn 9 weeks, tomorrow I think.

This sounds like a great home for them, make sure you post some photos of it soon!

Yeah, they are three sisters coming from a rescue :D. They aren't neutered yet but I know the rescue neuters if they are big enough by the time they leave or give out a neutering voucher. They are only just about to turn 9 weeks, tomorrow I think.

Awww fantastic lucky girls

Thanks, will definitely post photos soon :D

Just thought of another question, what is the best thing to use to lay the lino? :)

sounds great, yes you can use baby toys i buy rattles extra from poundland! just be careful they don't chew them! they only thing i would add is a box for them to sleep in.. not sure whether you meant that is what the hide away box is for in that case i would put it inside :thumb:

sounds great, yes you can use baby toys i buy rattles extra from poundland! just be careful they don't chew them! they only thing i would add is a box for them to sleep in.. not sure whether you meant that is what the hide away box is for in that case i would put it inside :thumb:

Yeah, the hideaway box is for them to sleep in. It is wooden though so I was going to use that outside and then have cardboard boxes as sleeping places for them inside.

I am hoping to get it finished for Monday so can add photos then although I won't be setting it up fully (bedding etc) until the morning they are arriving :) so it will look better then so will take photos then.

If they are going to be put together immediately (before being spayed) you will have to keep a very careful watch for any signs of fighting. Once their hormones come in they are likely to get very territorial and could fall out.

Perhaps the rescue can advise you further about that.

If they are going to be put together immediately (before being spayed) you will have to keep a very careful watch for any signs of fighting. Once their hormones come in they are likely to get very territorial and could fall out.

Perhaps the rescue can advise you further about that.

They are already together, and have been since they were born. They will be getting spayed as soon as they are big enough. I have never had multiple rabbits but the rescue is good so I am sure they will advise.

Back